Night sleeper trains Vienna-Zurich-Budapest

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 9:10:04 #823946

Hi,

I’m planning for a trip to Switzerland, Budapest and Vienna between 22 Oct to 4 Nov. Is it too late to book these night trains within a month of travel? I tried to book the night sleeper trains from Zurich to Budapest, and Vienna to Zurich. Both of which had the response, “The fare you selected could not be confirmed with the train operator. Please search again and select another fare or train.” Does this mean that I can only fly between the countries now, instead of trying for night sleeper trains? Or do I just Swiss Travel pass and book the trains on the day? Is it too risky?

I know it is quite last minute planning now. :$

Many thanks for your advice in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 September 2019 at 10:35:16 #922501

Hi Dover36070, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you should still be able to find seats for those night trains one month ahead. I just did a quick check and was able to find seats. I don’t know which website or train operator you’re using to book your seats. You’ll find several of them listed, at least for Austria, at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria/pri ce. Could you try with those and let us know if that works? This one shows available seats for Vienna-Zurich on October 22 for example: https://www.acprail.co m/train-tickets.

Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with booking very shortly before traveling. Trying to arrange for your sleeper seats online in advance would safer I think.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, the Swiss leg of your trips will be for free, so you’d only need tickets up to the border. You’ll find more information at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria and http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 23:26:36 #922502

You must be doing something wrong. There are seats/berths available this week let alone in months time.

Most European night trains are run by the Austrians, under the Nightjet brand

I recommend going to the Austrian railways / Nightjet own website for the safest information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 12:43:13 #922503

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the reference! On the side, I just managed to retrieve the thread…couldn’t find the thread in the last few days. :$

I tried the website at https://www.acprail.co m/train-tickets, but not really sure if I’ve made the right option. I wanted to book for 2, with individual shower/toilet facilities. Is the Sleeper Double option correct to choose? Additionally, will it be cheaper to use the EURAIL Global Pass? Sorry, I’m so confused by the travel days.

To: Budapest-Keleti Pu.

Departure: 2019-10-22 20:00

Arrival: 2019-10-23 09:19

Class of service: Sleeper Double

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 12:47:53 #922504

Hi,

I tried website but not too sure of the options to choose. I wanted to book for 2, with individual shower/toilet facilities. Do I need to choose the Private Compartment – Couchette Car option plus sleeper cabin? Or just the Best price option plus sleeper cabin?

Thanks heaps for your advice!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 12:58:09 #922505

Sorry, another question… what is the difference between Sparschiene, Komfort NightJet Partner and Private compartment-Couchette Car? I have viewed and read comments that the deluxe version of in-room shower / toilet facilities didn’t function a lot of times. Any comments?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 13:18:57 #922506

Hi Dover360703,

You should get the Sleeper Double, although I am not sure it there will be toilet/shower just for you, it mentions only the wash sink: “1-3 berth (bed) cabins: This most expensive option is also the most comfortable and private. Ideal for individual travelers or couples, these cabins provide more secluded sleeping quarters for just 1 to 3 people. In addition to a quality mattress, bedding and pillows, each cabin usually comes with a personal wash sink and towels, at least one power outlet, plus a complimentary travel kit containing essential toiletries.”

If you have Eurail Global Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass) you just need the seat reservation, so it will be cheaper.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 13:29:40 #922507

Spar ticket, Comfort NightJet Partner and Private compartment-Couchette Car: in brief, the differences are the cancellation opportunities. Spar ticket: you cannot change it. Comfort Ticket and Private compartment: cancellation for free is only possible 15 days prior to the departure.

If you would like to have a private compartment, you should choose that one.

I hope this helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 13:47:38 #922508

Oh I see, I thought it meant the different classes of travel. I have been trying to get on the phone with OBB but they don’t seem to speak English ! Tried emailing them but no response either. :'(

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 13:48:37 #922509

Thanks heaps, it certainly helps! 🙂

Lizzieannie
    Participant
    9 posts
    26 September 2019 at 9:00:52 #922510

We travelled from Zurich to Vienna on OBB Nightjet in June. If you want a private compartment for 2 with your own toilet/shower, you will need to book a First Class cabin. Everything else only has a washbasin. It’s certainly worth having your own toilet, but be aware that the shower is for extremely skinny people! Bedding is bunks, not a double bed, but we felt the best thing was that there were chairs and a table to sit at, plus plenty of room for luggage – there is no room under the bunks.

• The thread ‘Night sleeper trains Vienna-Zurich-Budapest’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.