Trip report part 3 – Adelboden & Engstligen Falls

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 23:35:26 #813332

Day 4 – Wednesday 6th September

It was raining in the morning in Interlaken as I headed to Adelboden where the real adventure begins. The aim was Engstligen Falls, the 2nd highest waterfall in Switzerland and with 2 falls. My initial itinerary was to Bern. But after doing some research on Adelboden, I change my itinerary. Luckily it wasn’t raining in Adelboden and weather forecast was cloudy with no rain which was good as I geared up for the Chaligang via ferrata climbing up the waterfall to the top (Engstligenalp). This was graded 2 out of 5, a nice warm up before doing a more difficult one the next day (Kandersteg – Allmenalp via ferrata). Before starting, met a couple of hikers, who asked me if it was dangerous doing the via ferrata alone.

I have previous experience with via ferrata (Trolltunga, Norway & week long mountain hut to hut trek and daily via ferrata in the Dolomites). This was the first time climbing a via ferrata without a guide. I took my time on this via ferrata, just to get to grips with the via ferrata experience again. The last time I did a via ferrata was also in Switzerland in Saillon, Via farinetta in the Salentz Gorge in the Sion region in mid June 2017 when I was based in Chamonix for 2 weeks, but with a guide.

I was alone throughout the entire 3 hours (suggested time was 2 hours I believe) it took me to complete the via ferrata reaching the Berghotel at the top where I had a late lunch of sausage with Rosti and a hot chocolate. Saw the mountains not far away had a dusting of snow. Took the cable car down and bus back to Adelboden town and went to the panoramic swimming pool for a swim and relax. Had the entire pool to myself.

Then headed for the accommodation for the night at Leissigen Youth Hostel, which is a gorgeous summer residence/villa by Lake Thun previously owned by the founder of Ovomaltine (Albert Wander). Had dinner by the lake with the sun setting and hearing the gentle waves on the shore. Wished I stayed longer to enjoy the entire place.

Pictures and videos here : flic.kr/s/aHsm5yZ5CJ

I have lots more photos and videos, but it is proving too time consuming to upload them.

Stay tuned. Next stop : Kandersteg.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 September 2017 at 6:18:16 #870088

Oh to be young! 👴🏻

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 2:14:45 #870089

I’m enjoying reading about your adventures very much! Thanks for all your trip reports!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Trip report part 3 – Adelboden & Engstligen Falls’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.