Trip report part 4 – Kandersteg Via Ferrata

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2017 at 14:31:04 #813338

If you hadn’t already read my previous trip reports, see the links below.

Part 1 : http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/part-1-of-16-day-trip-report-swiss-riviera

Part 2 : http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/part-2-of-16-day-trip-report-golden-pass-line

Part 3 : http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/no-3-of-16-day-trip-report-adelboden-engstligen

Day 5 – Thursday 7 September

I had to rush off in the morning after breakfast to catch the train to Kandersteg where i was staying for 2 nights. But I missed it just by a couple of minutes. So I had to wait for a full 1 hour. Luckily I had a good view of Lake Thun. This was the second time I saw 2 fighter jets flying in the air.

Arrived in Kandersteg and checked into Hotel Des Alpes. Very nice 2 star, family run hotel. Weather was cloudy but no rain, so no point going to Oeschinensee. Therefore, got the via ferrata gear out and headed to the via ferrata Kandersteg – Allmenalp (graded 4 out of 5 in difficulty). Started around 12 noon. Was gearing up to start and along came a couple probably in the 50s, who also geared up for the via ferrata climb. They were from Switzerland (Peter and Evelyne) and I let them start first.

From the twisting ladder part onwards (1/3 of the way through the via ferrata), I could see more people below on the via ferrata. One of them particularly fast, and caught up to me and I let him pass. I chatted with him a bit and he said he climbs this via ferrata regularly up and down. Sure enough on the final part of the via ferrata, I met him again on his way down. I completed the via ferrata in 3 hours which was the suggested time. Had a great view at the top, and could see across the valley and just make out the lake Oeschinensee in the distance.

See here for a video of me climbing up the last few meters – http://www.instagram.com/p/BY wS0GHjBui/?taken-by=bensumw

See here for a parade of swiss cows through Kandersteg – http://www.instagram.com/p/BY 1THxTD0il/?taken-by=bensumw

Had a quick bite of apple pie at the mountain hut and chatted with the couple who started ahead of me. Found out that Peter works for the Swiss rail and did a rail travel across Europe all the way to Singapore that lasted 160 days! We both had the same plan for the next day which was to hike around Oeschinensee as the weather forecast looks good. We exchanged numbers in case we plan to meet the next day.

Took the cable car back down to Kandersteg and I did some further exploring and walked to the Kandersteg International Scout Centre. I really liked Kandersteg and I feel that this was the best place out of all the places I visited throughout my 16 days in Switzerland.

Pictures – flic.kr/s/aHsm3i2fmN

Next up : the legendary alpine lake Oeschinensee.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 September 2017 at 16:58:34 #870103

Now that’s an adventure. You clearly don’t have a fear of heights! Thanks for the report!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2017 at 19:37:19 #870104

Indeed, my itinerary is for an active holiday. The best things in Switzerland are free : hiking trails, panoramic views, and the fresh air and clean water. You just need to know where to find them.

I wouldn’t say I have no fear of heights but no irrational fear of heights. Climbing up is always easier than climbing down. My next via ferrata (coming soon in a couple of trip reports later) is a descending one and took me longer than the suggested time because you had to look down and the huge exposure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 2:10:11 #870105

Great report, and impressive achievement! Loved the photos, and especially the video!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 9:45:31 #870106

Hello Alpenrose,

Thank you for reading ! Stay tuned for the upcoming trip reports. The uploading of pictures are holding back (taking forever) the trip reports which are already written.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2017 at 21:29:32 #870107

Hello Ben

I am enjoying reading your reports and admiring your energy and enthusiasm! We were late in life before we started travelling so have had a different kind of experience in Switzerland from yours obviously but love it enough to keep going back. Make the most of it while you can – lucky chap!

Maggie

• The thread ‘Trip report part 4 – Kandersteg Via Ferrata’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.