No cogwheel to Mt Pilatus during winter

No cogwheel to Mt Pilatus during winter

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
sirles
sirles
42 posts
Jan 5, 2017 - 9:24 PM

Hi

I have noticed there is no cogwheel train going up Mt Pilatus. Would I be right in saying that I will have to take the bus to Kriens then the gondola to the top then the cable car back down followed by bus back to Lucerne.

Can someone tell me about the new aerial cableway. Can I use this as part of transportation to the mountain or even back down and is there a discount when using the Swiss Rail Pass?

Thanks

Les

Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Jan 6, 2017 - 7:56 AM

Hi Les,

Indeed, the cable car is the only way to get up and down Mount Pilatus in winter. It is free with your Swiss Travel Pass, and the bus is free as well. Please see the pass map for what's included.

Have fun!

sirles
sirles
42 posts
Jan 6, 2017 - 11:08 AM

Hi Arno thank you for your reply.

Just to confirm that I can use the new aerial cableway that was constructed just over a year ago from Kriens to the top of Pilatus for free using Swiss Rail Pass?

Thanks again

Les

Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Jan 6, 2017 - 11:18 AM in reply to sirles

Hi Les,

Yes, the new cableway is covered. It replaced the old one, so it's the only way to get there.

sirles
sirles
42 posts
Jan 6, 2017 - 11:25 AM

Thanks Arno, had not realised that the new one replaced the old!

Les

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018