No seat reservation Chur – St. Moritz with IR1141?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 8:45:51 #817850

Hi Forum

Have booked train tickets for my old dad from Zürich FH to Zürich HB o Chur to St. Moritz.

Got seat reservation from ZFH/ZBH to Chur but I can’t find seat reservations from Chur to St. Moritz on the SBB homepage. Train is IR1141 leaving Chur 12.58 – Saturday 24. August – this year.

I’m a bit worried it’s because it’s fully booked but I find it strange that I can’t even search St. Moritz as a destination when making the seat reservation?

Any comments welcome.

Regards Tom

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    13 August 2018 at 9:01:19 #894093

Hi Tom,

No worries, people do not book seats for trains in Switzerland, apart from a few popular tourist trains. The train system is designed to be flexible, so tickets are not tied to one specific train. Often it is not even possible to book seats. The train from Chur to St. Moritz is not operated by the SBB, but by the RhB. You can contact them via http://www.rhb.ch/en/service-souvenirs/contact/rail service. If reservations are possible they will tell you, but they are not needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 9:56:03 #894094

Hi Arno

Thank you so much for the fast reply!

I won’t panic then 🙂

The info about RhB was excellent, thank you so much for that.

My father is 82 so I’ll contact them immediately to find out about seat reservations. Standing up for the two hour trip is not an option.

Kind regard Tom

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 15:06:33 #894095

Just to ease your concerns My wife and I have never had to stand up for more than 10 minutes on a Swiss train and that was only around Zurich during rush hour.

The trains really don’t need reservations as there is almost always a seat and trains run frequently. The is especially true for someone traveling alone – and at that age people will give him their seat as well.

Of course reservations are possible on some trains and can’t hurt. 🙂

Seats that are reserved will have a paper or electronic sign above the seat (beside the seat # on the wall of the train) It will just note the towns the seat is reserved between (it may not be reserved for the whole route).

• The thread ‘No seat reservation Chur – St. Moritz with IR1141?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.