Northbound Bernina Express and darkness end Oct

• Dirons
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 July 2017 at 8:44:34 #812488

Hello

We are flying out of Zurich on 2nd November this year and would like to get there by Bernina Express leaving from Tirano. But we are concerned about darkness making it not worth our while at that time of year. We know we could use the regional trains and leave earlier but would like to use the Bernina Express if possible could anyone advise us on the time it usually gets too dark to enjoy the view, especially on cloudy days.

Thanks in advance.

Di

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 July 2017 at 9:35:42 #866150

Hi Di, welcome to MySwissAlps!

It will get dark around 5 PM and parts of the valleys will be shadey well before that. The Bernina Express arrives in Chur at 7:03 PM, so personally I’d prefer the local trains. You will need to change trains along the way, and looking at the timetable it seems like it’s more than the usual two changes in November. I’m not sure why that is. Perhaps there are construction works along the route.

Dirons
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 July 2017 at 7:03:40 #866151

Thanks so much for your help. That has helped me make some decisions.

Warm regards

Di

• The thread ‘Northbound Bernina Express and darkness end Oct’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.