Interrail or Swiss Travel Pass UK Switz, Austria

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 19:23:27 #810796

Hi all

Hoping somebody can help me out as getting bogged down with information I am finding.

Ok so due to my husband being diagnosed with tinatus we are unable to fly as planned flights had already been booked and paid for no refund offered. The option now is to still have the holiday as we are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary but go by train.

1. We are going to go from London to Paris by Eurostar – been informed that if i book this with a interrail Pass then only pay for seat reservation but discovered that the Standard premier which included more comfortable seating eg extra legroom and a meal are only avail if your interrail ticket is 1st Class anyone just used Standard ?? is there much difference in seating??

2. once in Paris the idea is to travel onto either Geneva or Montreux – would like to explore both cities opting for 2 days in Montreux as would like to do Rochers de Naye and Chillion Castle . would it make more sense to go direct to montreux and just catch the train on a day visit to Geneva rather than book accommodation in Geneva.

3. Depending on 1st destination explore the area – if staying in Montreux the YHA offer the Riveria Card which i noticed has the same effect as the Swiss Halffare card in most cases, ie 50% of lake cruise and cog railway to Rochers de Naye also 50% visit to Chillion Castle. planning on 2 days in Montreux

4, From Montreux going onto Zermatt and aim to visit the Museum and Town and do the 5 lakes walk overnight stay in Zermatt

5. From Zermatt onward to Lucerne via Bern – stopping in Bern on route

6. 2 nights in Lucerne before onward travel to Salzburg

7. 1 week in Salzburg

My main concern is which pass to choose -ie would it be better to do some of the routes point to point tickets and buy a Swiss Travel Pass for the days in Switzerland or cover the whole trip with interrail global pass – finding that if i use the regional trains it says that they only offer 50% off their train travel

Sorry for the lengthy notes – but so confused – hope you guys can help many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 7:19:34 #858957

Hi Twiggy321,

Congrats on your wedding anniversary! I hope you enjoy the train trips you are planning!

1. I haven’t been on Eurostar so I can’t speak from personal experience. Their website indicates that as you said, seats are slightly larger with a light meal and a power socket – perhaps nice for long train trips.

2. It sounds like Montreux is more interesting for you with more activities for you – based on that I’d agree with staying there and perhaps make a day trip to Geneva.

3. The Interrail Global Pass includes most trains in Switzerland – though some are only offered at a discount. Check the areas of validity in Switzerland here. Zoom in on the PDF map on that link to see what trips you are planning and what is included and what isn’t. A list of top attractions in Switzerland is included on that link as well showing the discounts that are applicable.

Here is the Interrail page for Switzerland as well for you to read over.

Those pages will help you decide whether the cost of the Swiss Travel Pass would be worth it or not. IE plan the specific routes you will take and check to see if they are covered on these passes or not.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 4:57:05 #858958

>> … the Standard premier which included more comfortable seating eg extra legroom and a meal are only avail if your interrail ticket is 1st Class anyone just used Standard ?? is there much difference in seating??

I travelled on the Eurostar in both 2010 and 2012 (two return trips between Brussels and London) after many weeks of train travel in Switzerland, Germany and Austria, and was very disappointed in the standard of the Eurostar carriages and seating compared with trains in those other countries.

I travelled Standard class on the Eurostar and found it very cramped, very tired-looking and the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. The carriages have been refurbished since then, but I don’t know whether all carriages currently in service are the refurbished ones.

As for the food served at your seat in Standard Premier: I have read many reviews where people say the food is not that great, and that it is not hot food. I have seen pictures that indicate they serve airline-style meals in those little containers.

Here are some websites that might help you decide:

http://www.seat61.com/London-to-Paris-by-train.htm

http://www.ausbt.com.au/euros tar-business-premier-vs-standard-premier-vs-standard-class

http://www.europeanrailwayrev iew.com/26180/railway-extra/well-done-eurostar/

community.ricksteves.c om/travel-forum/france/eurostar-from-paris-to-london-class-and-price

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 17:57:25 #858959

Thanks for the information alpenrose666

Currently so confused about the British Train System will be so happy when i get to Switzerland as the swiss have got it right you generally pay on outright price for your pass we seem to have so many hidden extras but many thanks for your information of Eurostar and the links Seat 61 is a great website and i must admit looking at the pictures posted it looks very tired looking. At the end of the day as you stated your only on it for 2 hrs maximum and with not having hot meals I think the extra cost isn’t justified plus by getting a 1st class intterrail pass it seems that then most trains require seat reservations whereas the same train 2nd class is optional and I know it Switzerland the standard of 2nd class is exceptional in most cases.

• The thread ‘Interrail or Swiss Travel Pass UK Switz, Austria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.