Feb 12, 2017 - 7:23 PM
Hoping somebody can help me out as getting bogged down with information I am finding.
Ok so due to my husband being diagnosed with tinatus we are unable to fly as planned flights had already been booked and paid for no refund offered. The option now is to still have the holiday as we are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary but go by train.
1. We are going to go from London to Paris by Eurostar - been informed that if i book this with a interrail Pass then only pay for seat reservation but discovered that the Standard premier which included more comfortable seating eg extra legroom and a meal are only avail if your interrail ticket is 1st Class anyone just used Standard ?? is there much difference in seating??
2. once in Paris the idea is to travel onto either Geneva or Montreux - would like to explore both cities opting for 2 days in Montreux as would like to do Rochers de Naye and Chillion Castle . would it make more sense to go direct to montreux and just catch the train on a day visit to Geneva rather than book accommodation in Geneva.
3. Depending on 1st destination explore the area - if staying in Montreux the YHA offer the Riveria Card which i noticed has the same effect as the Swiss Halffare card in most cases, ie 50% of lake cruise and cog railway to Rochers de Naye also 50% visit to Chillion Castle. planning on 2 days in Montreux
4, From Montreux going onto Zermatt and aim to visit the Museum and Town and do the 5 lakes walk overnight stay in Zermatt
5. From Zermatt onward to Lucerne via Bern - stopping in Bern on route
6. 2 nights in Lucerne before onward travel to Salzburg
7. 1 week in Salzburg
My main concern is which pass to choose -ie would it be better to do some of the routes point to point tickets and buy a Swiss Travel Pass for the days in Switzerland or cover the whole trip with interrail global pass - finding that if i use the regional trains it says that they only offer 50% off their train travel
Sorry for the lengthy notes - but so confused - hope you guys can help many thanks in advance