Nov 2019 Bernina Express – St Moritz to Tirano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2019 at 3:19:23 #823443

Hi, I have studied the timetable for Bernina Express and would like to confirm my understanding is correct.

i’ll be staying in St Moritz on 19 Dec and leaving for Tirano on 20 Dec on Bernina Express. Please advise on the following if I’m on the right track.

(1) I need to take a train from St Moritz to Pontresina (1022) to board the Bernina Express to a Tirano.

(2) Bernina Express only operate 1 train daily (0832) from Chur to Tirano on 19 and 20 Dec 2019.

(3) The booking of Bernina Express open 2 months in advance. Reservation of seats open 6 months in advance. Since I’m holding STPF, I only need to make reservation for the seat.

(4) When making the online reservation, I should indicate Pontresina as From station and Tirano as To station.

(5) Can make changes to the date after making seat reservation?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 August 2019 at 5:47:22 #920301

Hi Serentee,

1. Yes

2. Yes. The heading of your post says November. Is it November or December. The December timetable is not released but is unlikely to be much different.

3. Correct.

4. Yes

5. Not easily and most likely not without paying a cancellation fee. It depends where you make the bookings.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2019 at 6:34:20 #920302

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I’m traveling on 20 November so I think I can reserve the seat base on the current timetable right?

May I also check which side of the train should I book for the best view seats? Looking at the available seat plan I can’t tell which is the heating direction. Is wagon 1 the best view wagon? I attached the available seating plan with this post. Appreciate advise on this.

Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 August 2019 at 7:37:14 #920303

OK 20 November is fine.

You should try to sit on the right-hand side of the train heading south.

I know the websites say that train direction of travel cannot be guaranteed.

My experience with bookings for the Bernina Express at shop.rhb.ch/en/catalog /product/view/id/18 is that the seats at the top of the seating plan are on the right heading south.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

I’m not sure if you are going to Lugano on the bus. If so try to sit on the left. The location of the drivers seat used to be shown on the BEX bus. This was a bit of a giveaway as to direction of travel but is no longer shown. The gap in the middle of the new bus plan suggests that is the right side of the bus. I am pretty sure that seats 12/18 (the numbering system is weird) are directly behind the driver and therefore on the preferred left side of the bus. Seats 14/16 are the exciting seats with a driver’s eye view of the rapidly-appproaching, impossibly narrow gaps the bus squeezes through in in the latter stages of the trip.

I’m not guaranteeing any of the foregoing – just my best guess based on previous experience.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2019 at 8:04:21 #920304

Thanks Rockoyster! Will probably reserve the seats above.

I will continue to Milan after Tirano so wont be taking the Bernina Express Bus. Thanks for the info though!

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    19 August 2019 at 2:12:54 #920305

Hi rockoyster,

I’m slightly confused as I have booked seat res on Bernina Exp from the RhB site from St.Moritz to Tirano on 13th October with no mention of changing trains at Pontresina.

It’s train 973 dep. 9.39am arriving 12.00.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 3:20:46 #920306

Fear not. You are travelling in a different season. Serentee is working off the winter timetable (commencing 27 October). You aren’t. You are cleared for takeoff. 😉

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    19 August 2019 at 4:51:07 #920307

Aha…..that’s the reason. All good then.

Thanks mate.

ps It would be snowing down yourway today yes?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 5:13:53 #920308

A bit of snow on Mt Wellington. More on the way I expect. Pity I have to go to Switzerland to ride a cable car. 😞

• The thread ‘Nov 2019 Bernina Express – St Moritz to Tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.