Zurich, Lucerne, Zermatt from 25 to 28 Nov

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 5:07:42 #824457

Hi all,

I’m planning to stop over in Switzerland (Nov 25 – 28) on my way to India from the US. This is my second visit to this beautiful country and I would love to experience a Swiss winter. I visited with family earlier this year in the summer and visited Lucerne, Bernese Oberland area and Montreux. My plan this time (I’m on a solo trip) is to spend a couple of days in the Zermatt area so I can see Matterhorn in winter.

Please see below for a rough itinerary. Can you please review and let me know if you have any suggestions?

Day 1 (Nov 25): Arrive in Zurich around 1 PM. Either stay in Zurich or take the train to Lucerne and spend the evening there. Stay the night at either Lucerne or Zurich (would appreciate suggestions on which city to stay and any activities that I can do. I understand it gets dark very early).

Day 2 (Nov 26): Take early morning train to Zermatt from either Lucerne or Zurich (avoiding travel to Zermatt the prior night so I can take in the scenery during the morning train ride). Arrive in Zermatt mid day and visit Gornergratt. Stay the night at Zermatt.

Day 3 (Nov 27): Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in the morning. Do any hikes in the afternoon if possible (any suggestions?). Stay the night at Zermatt.

Day 4 (Nov 28): Leave Zermatt by train in the morning and stop by Interlaken and visit Lauterbrunnen & Wengen – since I’ve visited these places in summer, I would love to see how these locations have transformed in winter. Make a 1 – 2 hour stop in Bern if I have the time on way to Zurich. Stay the night in Zurich and take early flight out next day.

I’ll be traveling with 2 big suitcases. I think I’ll be ok on my way to Zermatt as I’m not planning to get down anywhere in the middle. On my way back, I’m planning on using the lockers in Interlaken and Bern. Do you foresee any issues in getting the lockers in the winter season? If so, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    15 November 2019 at 8:30:13 #925086

Hi TxTraveller,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Glad to know you are visiting Switzerland for the second time. Your itinerary looks good and is easily do-able. Hopefully you’ll get to see plenty of fresh snow in Lauterbrunnen and Wengen this time around. We have quite of bit of the white powder already on the mountains, fingers crossed for plenty more and for clear blue skies during your trip.

As for suggestions on where to stay on your first night, I think either Zurich or Lucerne is a good option This is a good time to experience the festive atmosphere in both cities, if you have time. Zurich is especially wonderful this time of the year. I would highly recommend spending a couple of hours here visiting the Christmas markets, the old town and Bahnhofstrasse. You might be able to glimpse the Marlitram (Santa tram) and listen to the Singing Christmas tree, maybe even meet Samichlaus (the Swiss version of Santa Claus). And every year in Nov/Dec, the largest Swarovski Christmas tree is put on display at the Zurich main train station.

Below, accommodation links for Zurich and Lucerne and Christmas market locations:

There are numerous winter hiking trails near the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. However you may need special gears and hire a guide too, just to be safe. You can hire snowshoes from almost all the sports shops in Zermatt.

There are plenty of lockers provided at big stations like Bern and Interlaken. You should be able to find one for your luggage. More information about travelling with luggage here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Here are a few more useful links for your trip:

Best regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 November 2019 at 9:57:22 #925087

Hi Tx,

This may be a silly question but is there some reason to cart two large suitcases with you. Could you not perhaps leave one at Zurich Airport and collect it on the way back?

Also why not just hop a train direct to Zermatt on arrival. If you made the 13:46 train (easily possible if your flight is on time) with one change at Visp you could be in Zermatt by 5:15pm and free up some time for a more relaxed trip back.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 13:32:48 #925088

Thanks Anna. I’ll check out the links you sent and the activities in Zurich!

Good to know that you can hire a guide in Zermatt. Will look into it as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 13:59:12 #925089

Thanks rockoyster. I’m carrying both suitcases as I noticed that I can only store luggage for 72 hours at the Zurich airport and I’m planning to be out longer than that.

Looks like if I use the left luggage service at the Zurich airport, I can leave it for a longer duration. Do you know if the left luggage window is open 24 hours? My flight on the 29th is at 6 AM and I didn’t want to be stuck not able to get my luggage if I’m there at 4 AM and the left luggage window is closed.

Please let me know if I’m missing any other alternatives.

Thanks for the suggestion on going to Zermatt straight. I checked my flight timing and it looks like I arrive at 2 PM. So after customs/immigration etc, if I leave at 3 PM for Zermatt, I may be able to enjoy the scenery for a couple of hours before it gets dark. Would you recommend this option still if this is the timeline I have or should I wait and go early in the morning?

I don’t know if I’m putting too much emphasis on the train ride – is it worth it to wait and leave the next day? Per Anna’s suggestion, it looks like there are many things to do for an evening in Zurich as well.

Thanks.

Anna
    6274 posts
    15 November 2019 at 14:21:42 #925090

Hi TxTraveller,

The left luggage service at Zurich airport is open daily from 6am to 10.30pm. If you plan to use this service, I suggest you pick up your luggage the night before your flight out. Might be a good idea to spend the last night somewhere near the airport. Link to Zurich Aiport hotels here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu richairporthotels

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 14:36:13 #925091

Thanks Anna for the info! Will try to plan around those timings.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 November 2019 at 19:36:07 #925092

Hi Tx,

If you go the fast route to Zermatt from the airport I wouldn’t worry too much about travelling after dark. I was thinking you would have time for the Christmas markets on your last night. But seeing your flight departs 6:00am I would strongly recommend you stay at the airport. The Radisson Blue is super convenient if your budget will stretch to it.

• The thread ‘Zurich, Lucerne, Zermatt from 25 to 28 Nov’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.