November: Zermatt to St. Moritz by train

• Chrishua
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 May 2023 at 0:13:58 #829747

Hi there, I am planning to go to Switzerland for the first time with my family this November. I understand that November is a low period for Switzerland but there really isnt any other times of the year that we can travel and Switzerland is on the top of my bucket list. As I was researching, I realised the Glacier Express operates from Dec to Oct, which means Nov there wont be any services and I have planned my route and stays such that 13 Nov I will leave Zermatt for St. Moritz and stay in St. Moritz for 3 days. Is it true that if i am unable to take the Glacier Express, I wont be able to complete the entire route in a day from Zermatt to St. Moritz? Would really appreciate if someone can guide me on this. Thank you so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2023 at 0:25:57 #954026

Personally I have never used the Glacier Express a single time in 60 years of travelling in the Swiss alps, so yes, it is possible to do the Zermatt – St Moritz journey on the regular trains along the route.

However, do take into account the length of daylight in November.

The route is operated by two different railway companies.

Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB ) operates the line from Zermatt via Brig and Andermatt to Disentis Muster. Disentis Muster to St Moritz is one of the lines comprising the Rhatische Bahn (RhB) railway network – essentially the ‘national railway’ of Canton Graubünden. All lines are narrow (1000mm) track gauge. Due to the nature of the railway (mostly single track) , normal trains are not all that much slower than the so called ‘Express’

You would need to change trains four times (at Visp, Andermatt, Disentis Muster and Reichenau Tamins

As mentioned above the daylight in November is restricted, so I recommend you adjust your accommodation to stay a night in Chur (Switzerland’s oldest city) and complete the journey to St Moritz the following day.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    3 May 2023 at 6:16:56 #954027

Hi Chrishua

Welcome

If you look input your journey from Zermatt to St Moritz in the SBB website or app you will find there are frequent regular trains available throughout the day. The quickest journey time being 6 hours 32 minutes. See attached screenshot for that day.

Hope this is of help.

Jane

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    3 May 2023 at 7:30:24 #954028

Hello Chrishua,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. That’s great you are planning to visit Switzerland in November!

Yes, that’s right, the Glacier Express will be taking a maintenance break (16 October to 9 December, 2023). As mentioned by JaneEB, if you key in Zermatt to St.Moritz via the timetable link – you will be able to view all available routes on your travel date: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Some useful links for your destinations:

Also, I am unsure if you are planning on other travel whilst here but you may want to consider a rail pass to travel around. More information here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Chrishua
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 May 2023 at 11:54:02 #954029

Thank you all so much for your kind replies. It’s comforting to know that I would still be able to travel without the Glacier Express though it would be a big pity. Can i get advise on how the 4 trains would be connected to one another whilst i change rides along the way? Are the platforms very far away from one another or just directly opposite each other? Who can i approach if i get lost on the platform?

I also noted that the daylight in Nov is limited. Can someone advise what time does the sun rise and set usually in Nov? I’ll be in Switzerland from 2 Nov to 22 Nov so I can plan what time to start my day. Thank you all once again, it really saves lives 🙂

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    3 May 2023 at 12:50:22 #954030

Hi Chrishua

The time table on the app for your route shows your arrival platform and the departure platform of your next train.

If you click on ‘Change’ a map will appear showing the proximity of the next platform. As long as you know the number of your next platform there is also good signage at the railway stations.

On the actual platform there is also overhead signage showing whereabouts on the platform the first and second carriages will be when the train stops so you can wait in the appropriate area.

According to Google when you are in Switzerland sunrise will be between 07.11 and 07.40 and sunset between 17.10 and 16.45.

Hope this is of help.

Jane

Chrishua
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 May 2023 at 16:10:45 #954031

Hi Jane, thanks for the information. Yes the advises really helps! Thank you soo very much. I really appreciate it 🙂

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    4 May 2023 at 4:32:19 #954032

Thanks again Jane for your input.

Hello again Chrishua,

It maybe a good idea to make a note of the platform number, that you need to make your way to for each change. You can do this as Jane mentions, via the timetable. The arrival and departure times are sufficient enough so your connections can be made in a timely manner. The platform numbers are well indicated at all train stations. If not, a member of staff is normally present if you needed to ask someone for directions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Chrishua
    Participant
    12 posts
    4 May 2023 at 16:20:54 #954033

Hi Yolanda,

Thank you for the assurance. Because i am travelling with a child, so knowing that it won’t be a rush really makes a great difference.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2023 at 22:51:51 #954034

There is absolutely nothing to worry about:

1. all the connections on the MGB/RhB network are at small stations (remember Switzerland is a small country with mostly small towns and villages)
    2. all the stations are geared up for tourists from all over the world changing between trains. There is clear signing and clear announcements everywhere.
    3. all stations in Switzerland are equipped with facilities for easy access to platforms, eg lifts and ramps as well as stairs

Specifically for the Zermatt – St Moritz journey you will find:

1. Change 1 (Visp) There are only two MGB tracks at Visp station. Easy to change
    2. change 2 (Andermatt). Recently rebuilt with new platforms to make it easy to change between trains. The two trains are likely to be on adjacent tracks
    3. Change 3 (Disentis Muster). The MGB train often serves the same track as the RhB train, so it is possible you will just get off and walk further along the platform. If not the RhB train will be in an adjacent platform
    4. Change 4 (Reichenau Tamins or Chur): to change at Reichenau Tamins, get off your train onto the single island platform, and the Chur – St Moritz train will arrive on the opposite track some time later. To change at Chur you will probably just have to walk between two tracks.
    Chrishua
    Participant
    12 posts
    5 May 2023 at 10:51:17 #954035

Thank you for all your advises 🙂 can i ask from platform to platform, do i need to go down tunnels, up escalators or wld it be just walking across the same place. For for the example in the picture? Because i noted the time for rushing to the next platform is only about 10 minutes and we will be travelling with a child and luggages. Thank you all once again.

Anna
    6362 posts
    5 May 2023 at 19:58:38 #954036

Hi Chrishua,

Most train stations have ramps and/or lifts to help commuters change from one platform to another. There are clear signages and direction. 10 minutes transfer time is more than enough to switch from one train to another.

You can find practical tips on how to travel on Swiss trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2023 at 22:04:25 #954037

I have already explained how small the stations are. You can change trains in such small stations in less than 2 -3 minutes, even with cases and children

• The thread ‘November: Zermatt to St. Moritz by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.