How is the weather in October in Bernese Oberland?

• Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    9 August 2017 at 19:03:18 #812902

Is there any reason not to travel in Bernese Oberland in Mid-October? Will all cable cars, trains etc, still be running and hotels, restaurants still open? I assume weather is still good then for sightseeing?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 August 2017 at 21:50:52 #868129

Hi Vlasta –

The majority of the cableways in the Bernese Oberland stop running on October 22. Some stop as early as September 15 or 22. Cograils run all year. Schilthorn cable ways shut down for a while….I think it might be in November.

October is usually good in the beginning. In mid-October, there is a significant chance that higher trails will be blocked with snow, not yet groomed for hiking, and skiing will be marginal. By the end of October, you cannot count on good weather, although it certainly happens. With snowy days come clouds. Clouds at the high altitudes block the views.

I’d say that your assumption is possibly right. Possibly, not.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘How is the weather in October in Bernese Oberland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.