Adjustment needed to 11 day Swiss summer itinerary

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    13 December 2018 at 14:08:58 #900034

Wow Slowpoke, what a great reply! I could not have said that as brilliantly as you did. I’m impressed! That reply needs to be copied and pasted for the many travelers that have the same concerns. Awesome job!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 December 2018 at 15:25:12 #900035

Thanks.

It is amazing how many travelers do not learn how to use the timetable in conjunction with one or more good maps, and organize their days with consideration of time required, both for travel and to “cover” the target to whatever degree they decide matches there needs. And, to consider contingencies for poor weather, especially on trips to the high Alps.

Or, do not read the links that are offered. The lesson I have learned is that the more you use the tools available to help travel in Switzerland, the more you can customize a really good trip, with contingencies. It is hard work. It gets easier if you go back a few times. 😉

It cost a lot money to travel to and in Switzerland. A bit of work beyond making a list of things to see helps get maximum value from the money spent.

Your own valuable trip report illustrates the value of planning, as well as the help you’ll get from the Swiss.

Slowpoke

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    13 December 2018 at 15:38:18 #900036

Thank you, Slowpoke, for remembering I wrote a trip report. That means a lot to me. The reason we write responses on here is that we want everyone else to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of Switzerland the way we do!

Sharpl
    Participant
    50 posts
    13 December 2018 at 18:50:19 #900037

Yes, I readily admit that I have not consulted the specific timetable YET. I did research time to travel between each base. I was trying to focus primarily first on where my overnight locations would be because I was following the idea of airfare, hotels, and then excursions. I thought if I at least had a general idea of things I wanted to do I could choose our hotels and then work on the itinerary. It looked like most activities could be reached by train within an hour or two. I definitely know that we cannot do everything that I have listed. That is just my cache of possibilities and then I plan to narrow it down. I do so appreciate everyone that has taken the time out of their busy schedules to answer. I will study the timetable further. Slowpoke, to be honest, I was a little confused by the map. I was having trouble following your directions. I was having trouble locating the number 32. I saw the other options such as the trains, interests, etc but could not find specifically 32.

Sharpl
    Participant
    50 posts
    13 December 2018 at 18:55:07 #900038

Bahahaha, now I see that you mean zoom to level 32. I know it said that but I specifically was looking for an area marked 32! Good grief. Well, how do we learn but by making mistakes?

Crossofiron
    Participant
    32 posts
    13 December 2018 at 19:02:27 #900039

Regarding the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. Not correct that the hike is not available due to snow. I did that hike this past May 2 without a real issue. The weather was clear with blue skies and some small patches of snow. Next year in 2019 it may have too much snow but to say that is always unavailable is not correct. Sometimes you have to gamble. Much more pretty in my opinion when snow is more abundant.

Sharpl
    Participant
    50 posts
    13 December 2018 at 19:18:10 #900040

Lucas, on day 8 I meant Golden Pass trip as a possibility, but I was interested in the Golden Round trip at Pilatus. The cliff walk was at Titlis, not Pilatus. I really was intrigued by the funicular ride at Gelmerbahn and listed First as an option during those two days. To be honest, after weeks of looking at cities and activities everything is a bit muddled. This is my first rodeo planning an overseas trip by myself. I have depended on a tour company before but want to do it myself this go around. I will try to master the timetable and the map and make my “priority” list. I have looked at all the links. The way I look at it, it’s Switzerland and anything that we see or do is going to be awesome!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 December 2018 at 19:20:54 #900041

<<“Not correct that the hike is not available due to snow. I did that hike this past May 2 without a real issue.”>>

You were lucky.

I am sure that I made a mistake if I said “always.” But, the correct term is almost always. 🙂

And, the trail is often open part way before then. The issue is usually potential or actual snow slides near Tschuggen.

I was up there in 2014 and the trail opened on the 16th…too cloudy to walk it, even though we went up to Männlichen. A few years before that, I was at Kleine Scheidegg on June 6th and there were a couple meters of snow on the trail at that end.

A year or two ago there was snow up there in August.

Slowpoke

Crossofiron
    Participant
    32 posts
    13 December 2018 at 19:28:28 #900042

Agreed that the safest bet is to wait to mid June, but I have also been to Lauterbrunnen later in the year when the snow was sparse. I much prefer to see lots of snow as that is the charm in my opinion. I am again visiting Switzerland this year from April 26th through May 6. Starting in Geneva on April 26 and ending in Chamonix on May 6th.

Fingers crossed that the weather is good. As I said prior, “Sometimes you gamble!”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2018 at 19:49:36 #900043

Yeah ok makes sense now. 🙂

So on day 8: Golden round trip from Lucerne to Pilatus and toboggan.
    and on Day 10: Titlis and Cliff walk

Day 7: I still haven’t been to Gelmerbahn but I really want to! If the weather looks good first thing that morning I’d go for it over First. But of course First is very simple/easy to do in Grindelwald…hard choices! So if you aren’t up for a long travel day then go to First. 🙂 And if the weather looks good at First but not good at Gelmerbahn go to First (follow the sun as it were).

Day 9: No need to try Golden pass train trip on this day. You’ll do the first 2/3rds of it on day 5 moving to Grindelwald from Montreux and the other 1/3rd on day 8 when you move to Lucerne. 🙂

Something like this:

Day 1, Mon. June 3rd-overnight flight
    Day 2, Tues. June 4th-arrive Zurich @2:45 p.m., travel to Zermatt (be prepared for late arrival)
    Day 3, Wed. June 5th-Zermatt: excursion to Gornergrat AND/OR Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, travel to Montreux
    Day 4, Thurs. June 6th-Montreux: Glacier 3000 excursion, Chillon Castle
    Day 5, Fri. June 7th-Montreux: cheese and chocolate tours (Gruyeres), Golden Pass Ride to Grindelwald (a little tricky if you have a lot of luggage)
    Day 6, Sat. June 8th-Grindelwald: Schilthorn AND/OR Jungfrau
    Day 7, Sun June 9th-Grindelwald: First Walk OR Gelmerbahn
    Day 8, Mon. June 10th-Travel to Lucerne: Mt. Pilatus & Toboggan,
    Day 9, Tues. June 11th-Lucerne: OPEN
    Day 10-Wed. June 12th-Lucerne: Mt. Titlis & Cliff Walk return to Zurich
    Day 11-Thurs. June 13th-Zurich: Flight home @ 9:40 a.m.

Sharpl
    Participant
    50 posts
    17 December 2018 at 20:29:44 #900044

Ok, have adjusted again. I have day 10 open and wonder if everything should be shifted a bit???

Day 1: Mon. June 3rd-overnight flight

Day 2: Tues. June 4th-arrive Zurich @2:45 p.m., train to Zermatt

Day 3: Wed. June 5th-Zermatt, travel to Gornegrat and browse city of Zermatt

Day 4: Thurs. June 6th-travel to Montreux, Glacier 3000 (cable car, alpine coaster, suspension bridge), if time allows Chillon Castle

Day 5: Fri. June 7th-Montreux Gruyeres-chocolate and cheese tours, Chillon Castle if not already visited

Day 6-Sat. June 8th-travel to Grindelwald, Jungfrau

Day 7-Sun. June 9th-Grindelwald, First Walk

Day 8: Mon. June 10th-Travel to Lucerne, Golden Round Trip

Day 9: Tues. June 11th-Lucerne, Mt. Titlis and Hammeltschwand Elevator

Day 10: Wed. June 12th-OPEN ??????? (afternoon travel to Zurich)

Day 11: Thurs. June 13th-Flight home @9:40 a.m.

Also, Lucas could you tell me why the Golden Pass Ride to Grindelwald would be a bit tricky with a lot of luggage (plan to travel as light as possible) ? I have booked my first two nights hotel stay, but really want to book the rest.

By the way, thank you so much for those who have commented. This website has been so very helpful.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 December 2018 at 20:52:51 #900045

<<“would be a bit tricky with a lot of luggage “>>

Change of trains at Zwisimmen, and Interlaken Ost, maybe?

Interlaken Ost is a minor nuisance because the between trains walk is bit bit narrow and may be crowded.

I too wonder what else Lucas might have had in mind?

Slowpoke

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    17 December 2018 at 23:52:38 #900046

Hello Sharpl,

I have been following this thread for a while and would like to chime in on two things if I may.

1: I went to both the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and the Gornergrat on the same day. Glacier Paradise first, then back into town for a bite to eat on my way to the Gornergratbahn. I stayed up at the Gornergrat for about two and a half hours, in the late afternoon to catch the sunset while I was up there. (My reasoning being that how often will I have this opportunity to do so?) I only say this because you say you want to get on a train afterward to head to Montreux. You can accomplish all this if you start early. I started out a little bit after noon and it did take me all day from then on. You may want to do one excursion one day upon arrival in Zermatt and one the next day, thus allowing some time to see the village itself also. (Plus, you may have some jet-lag) The ride to Montreux is about two and a half hours or so. Just throwing it out there for you.

2: For six months or so, I was poring over a brochure of the Jungfrau region, with hiking and things to do. The more I looked it over, the more I wanted to do. Between that, this web-site and google maps, I was almost overwhelmed. So much so, that I had absolutely no game plan what so ever of what I was going to do for the three nights I spent in Wengen. I definitely wanted to see the Schilthorn, Grindelwald First, and everything else was just as it came to me. Grindelwald was in the clouds the whole time I was there, so I never went down there, and after hiking to Murren from Grutschalp, I missed the cable car to the Shilthorn by ten minutes. So, I improvised and took the cable cars down to Stechelberg, the bus to Lauterbrunnen, and the train to Interlaken Ost and went up to Harder Kulm, which turned out to be a great decision..……. So, make some plans, but just be flexible upon weather conditions and timing. Have a good time planning things, and don’t knock yourself out. Take it as it comes, and trust me, you will enjoy your trip. Have fun.

Danielsan

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    17 December 2018 at 23:58:43 #900047

To Slowpoke,

Nice pictures. Looks like beautiful weather, too. Some pictures look like some I have from the boat rice to Fluelen from Lucerne.

Danielsan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 December 2018 at 0:03:55 #900048

<<“Nice pictures. “”>>

Thanks.

<<“Some pictures look

like some I have from the boat rice to Fluelen from Lucerne.”>>

That is not surprising, is it? 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 7:16:30 #900049

Yes, my thoughts on day 5 is that luggage isn’t the most fun to haul around on your visits to the cheese and chocolate factories on your way to moving to Grindelwald but it looks like you’ve changed the itinerary that day and aren’t moving on to Grindelwald on the same day.

Zurich is a nice town to explore on day 10: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/activities. Very nice old town, lots of museums and shopping among other activities noted on the link above.

Sharpl
    Participant
    50 posts
    18 December 2018 at 13:23:23 #900050

Gee whiz, this is why I need this forum! I hadn’t even thought of that Lucas. Back to the drawing board!

Sharpl
    Participant
    50 posts
    18 December 2018 at 13:24:55 #900051

Oh Lucas, when I looked back I have us traveling to Grindelwald on the morning of Day 6!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 15:45:11 #900052

yes I saw that you changed the travel date to Grindelwald so the luggage won’t be an issue going to those factories anymore. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The thread ‘Adjustment needed to 11 day Swiss summer itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.