Omio train tickets price is far less than SBB

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 18:25:26 #820553

If I check the Berne to Interlaken ticket price on Omio.com app and SBB, Omni prices are too low. SBB is even not giving any discount on half fare card, why it is so, beyond understand ???

All the Swiss websites are not user friendly at all. They should come up with better websites, confuses the travellers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 March 2019 at 19:30:56 #907311

Hi Anildhope,

I did a quick check and didn’t see prices that are too low so far. The lower prices are Supersaver tickets, which is explained if you click on the price. More about that here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland.

Alternatively, you can try https://www.happyrail. com/en. You can click on the passenger icon to indicate you have a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 March 2019 at 18:31:24 #907312

Hello Anil Dope,

<< All the Swiss websites are not user friendly at all. They should come up with better websites, confuses the travellers. >> Wow !, that’s a sweeping statement. I couldn’t disagree with you more. Possibly other contributors (perhaps non-Swiss) to this forum will help you to become less confused, and you will find websites which are up to your standards for friendliness and clarity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 20:04:04 #907313

Hi Peteli,

Swiss tourism is a seller’s market, so nobody raise any question. To solve a confusion/ question, forum never give answer, rather support a link, a further confusion. Sbb only support CHF, not other currency. If the website is properly made, don’t require so much confusing forum. Simple FAQ, proper ticketing system, colour coded train routes, applicable for different swiss passes in Switzerland from outside to in, even this troubles in writing. The ticket cost should display on first page of search, which is not here. The thinking is not given in a proper way, while designing the website. How much time customers and you are wasting on your website, because of improper design. It’s a national loss, you can design the website in such a way, not to waste others and your time.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 March 2019 at 20:27:34 #907314

Hi Anildhope,

I’m sorry you’re not happy with how your trip planning is working out. Please note that MySwissAlps does not sell anything. We are not a train operator, ticket reseller, travel agency, etc. All we can do is explain the options and answer questions. I see you’ve received quite some help through the forum so far. Yes, we do reply with links sometimes, as it doesn’t make sense to type a list of things to do in a certain town if there is a page with this information readily available. You’re responsible for your holidays, we can just help. We gladly do so, and for free, but if it doesn’t meet your expectations there’s no obligation for you to stick around of course. I’m not sure who you’re accusing of wasting time. My tip is that being polite will make your planning and your holidays much more pleasant (see the forum rules).

As for SBB: it is a national railway carrier, and the vast majority of their clients is obviously Swiss. So I understand that things can be confusing for tourists (I am one myself by the way). It’s part of planning a trip to a foreign country that things might be different than at home, including the currency. There are many other, simpler websites to buy tickets from, like the two mentioned in the first two posts here. But in the end the same tickets are being sold there. Just read about the options (link in second post), or save time, keep it simple and buy a Swiss Travel Pass, so you don’t have to look into tickets for each trip. It’s all up to you.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    25 March 2019 at 0:12:22 #907315

Hi Anildhope

I suspect English is not your native language and that can certainly make English websites more difficult to use especially if there are nuiances involved. For instance you may not have caught Peterli’s insult in his salutation. English is my native language and the first time I used the SBB website i found it to be fairly straightforward except i remember having difficulty finding the SHF pricing option which was in a drop down menu. While not overly difficult I would not have characterized it as simple. Fortunately after the first time it becomes much easier so keep trying.

As to the MySwissAlps website, it does exactly what it advertises. Mark

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2019 at 5:50:24 #907316

Have you tried the SBB Mobile app for smartphones/tablets. I found it very simple to use compared to the SBB website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 6:51:50 #907317

Hi Rocky, I downloaded, what about currency change as my credit card permit only euro transaction. On first page of train search you don’t get the price ? For a train ticket say from Berne to Interlaken I don’t want to be in que , online is the solution now a days. I tried SBB ticket shop too. Happyrail.com is giving absurd ticket rates in more than 100 euro for Berne to Interlaken train ???

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2019 at 7:12:15 #907318

I used a Bank Travel card which was loaded with Euros. I used it to buy tickets from SBB using the mobile app. An exchange rate Euro to CHF applies but I was still able to use the Euros from by Travel Card. I would never consider buying tickets for Swiss trains from anyone other than SBB.

The currency inSwitzerland is the Swiss Franc not the Euro. You’ll need to live with that same as I have to if I buy something from the US with Australian dollars.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2019 at 7:44:22 #907319

Hi Anildhope,

If you need help with the ticket prices, please describe exactly what you are trying to buy on happyrail.com (route, date, time, return/single, number of travelers). I just tried Bern to Interlaken Ost for tomorrow and I get prices as low as € 12 for a single ride.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 11:00:39 #907320

Hi peterill

I have to agree at first blush, the sites are not intuitive or user friendly.

HOWEVER, that said, PATIENCE is the rule. Anything worth having is worth working for. Stay with it, ask the forum for advice, email the rail for information, read between the lines of the answers and ask again and again and you will succeed. But don’t expect someone else to solve your issues.

the only real issue I find is that the trains are not opened for booking sooner. Waiting till 2 months out to get a ticket on the glacier or bernina is painful. but all good things come to an end.

ralph

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2019 at 12:29:11 #907321

Hi Ralph,

Glacier Express seats can be booked 3 months in advance, and I don’t think there’s a limit to booking the Bernina Express (end of season perhaps). It’s only tickets that can be purchased up to 2 months in advance, but they don’t sell out so no problem there. Theoretically you can purchase tickets 60 seconds before departure and it’s still fine.

Enjoy your trips!

• The thread ‘Omio train tickets price is far less than SBB’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.