Omit Reichenau to Chur on Glacier Express route?

• AJB1
    Participant
    8 posts
    19 March 2019 at 15:36:35 #820485

Doing the Glacier Express route on 29th May on regional trains, not the Glacier Express Panorama train.

Samedan (staying overnight there rather than St Moritz, having done the Bernina Express the previous day) to Zermatt – via Filisur, Thusis, Reichenau, Disentis and Andermatt .

I do not see any point of going from Reichenau to Chur and back again to continue to Disentis etc.

It will save some time not going to Chur and back and give more flexibility in train times for the day.

I would like to know, however, if the ride from Reichenau to Chur and back again is really worth doing and why.

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 March 2019 at 20:40:43 #906951

I’m confused. Isn’t Riechenau in Germany? How do you do the Bernina Express Zermatt – Filisur? Maybe you mean Zurich?

If I understand correctly you want to get from Samedan to Disentis without backtracking on the Bernina Express route. If so have a look at this map and consider going round via Landquart. But there is only one Glacier Express route between Chur and Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 2:41:26 #906952

Yes, that’s correct. Change trains at Reichenau-Tamins. No need to go to Chur. All you will really miss seeing is the big Ems Werk:

http://www.ems-group.com/en/about-ems/about-ems/production-site-at-domatems/?mylang=de

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 March 2019 at 4:08:54 #906953

Aah now I get it. Bit of misspelling on my part. The route via Landquart still give you a bit more scenic variety from the Bernina Express route if that happens to be what you are looking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 9:26:52 #906954

Hi AJB1,

I think you have an answer from our experts already, however in case it helps there is a detailed route description for the Glacier Express here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere

It describes Andermatt to Chur for the leg of the journey you are referring to.

All the best on your travels!

Maria.

AJB1
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 March 2019 at 19:34:29 #906955

Thank you all!

And thank you 1960man for the link about the big Ems Werk – interesting and good to know about it.

I think I shall indeed omit the little but time-consuming lap from Reichenau-Tamins to Chur and back.

Thanks again, AJB1

• The thread ‘Omit Reichenau to Chur on Glacier Express route?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.