One day pass for trip from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 16:28:51 #811783

Hi. We’ll be in Zurich next month for just one day. We’d like to travel up to see the Alps during that day. I’d like to know if there is such a thing as purchasing a one-day travel pass. All the websites I’ve looked at seem to offer only a minimum of 3 day passes.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    11 May 2017 at 17:05:38 #863169

Hi happy, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

You’re right, there’s no similar option for just one day. A 1-day travelpass does exist, but only as an add-on to the Swiss Half Fare Card. You’d have to make a very long (round) trip to make this worth it. You can look into:

• supersaver tickets. They’re cheaper than regular tickets, but: they’re not available for all routes, they can get sold out and they’re only valid for a specific train (whereas regular tickets are valid for any train on that route throughout the day);
    • a Swiss Half Fare Card. It might be worth it if you travel to the Alps and use an expensive mountain transportation route, such as the Jungfraujoch. Please follow these guidelines to calculate whether it’s economical for your plans;
    • guided one-day tours from Zurich. You’ll find several at our Zurich activities page.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 6:17:55 #863170

Thank you for this information. Seeing we are 5 people, I think it may make the most sense for us to rent a car. If we drive from Zurich to Weggis (seems this is only about a 40 minute drive), could we buy tickets to the aerial car up to Mt. Rigi and then maybe the cogwheel train up to the next point? I can’t really figure out if the ticket prices on the Mt. Rigi website are full price or only valid with a travel pass.

Annika
    7121 posts
    14 May 2017 at 12:44:43 #863171

Hi happy,

I don’t think you should underesimate the cost of car rental. More information is at myswissalps.com/carver sustrain. You could indeed visit Rigi by car, but it’s harder to make a round trip as you’ll have to return to your car. If you just travel by public transport, you can make a nice round trip from Lucerne: by boat to Weggis, by cable car up to Rigi, and then back by train to Arth-Goldau or Vitznau. From there you can reach Lucerne again.

The prices we link to at the bottom from myswissalps.com/rigi/t ickets show regular full-fare prices. Ignore the “half-fare” columns, as those are mentioned for travelers holding a rail pass such as the Swiss Half Fare Card.

• The thread ‘One day pass for trip from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.