One day trip from Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2010 at 8:01:02 #804044

I’ll be making a one day stop in Geneva before I continue my journey to France. I wonder what to do in Geneva. I’m not especially interested in the city. Are there one day trips that can be made from the city centre and include beautiful nature/views? I don’t mind spending the whole day on this, as long as I can arrive back in my hotel by evening. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    17 April 2010 at 11:45:29 #831943

Hello Ronald,

It’s certainly possible to explore the surroundings of Geneva in a one day trip. Some examples:

• the cable car to Salève, which can be reached from Geneva. From this viewing point you’ll see the Alps and look down on Geneva and lake Geneva;
    • another viewing point can be visited above Montreux (a 1 hour train ride from Geneva), called Rochers-de-Naye;
    • if you’re up for a longer journey, you might travel by train in the direction of Gstaad and back again. This route is part of the beautiful Golden Pass Line. You could even manage to get in Chamonix in France and back within one day. Chamonix is at the foot of the impressive Mont Blanc range;
    • closer to Geneva you could explore some of the l ittle towns along the lake or take a hike;
    • a boat trip on lake Geneva.

Complete overviews of all activities can be found on the tourism websites of Geneva and lake Geneva. You can plan all your trips using the online timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2010 at 9:48:53 #831944

A trip to Gruyeres can easily be achieved – an hour 50 minutes each way. Gruyeres is a perfect mountain village complete with chateau. You have the added attractions of excellent regional cheeses, cream, chocolate and meringues. A curious addition is the fantastical art, both in the chateau and the compellingly grotesque HR Riger museum.

• The thread ‘One day trip from Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.