Golden Pass travel details late April

Golden Pass travel details late April

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Tamival
Tamival
35 posts
Apr 17, 2018 - 6:23 PM

Hi again,

Heading out tomorrow to Amsterdam, River Cruise and Switzerland adventure! Still confused on the Golden Pass situation. I know there is construction on the date we will travel from Luzern to Montreux (April 30.) I believe you cannot reserve any seats from Zweisimmen to Montreux, correct? Will there be any first class seats or Panoramic seats available to reserve on any of this trip (Luzern to Montreux.)

When I use the timetable, I do not see any Panoramic trains listed, but I am probably missing something. We will stop along the way for lunch (Spiez or Gstaad) and plan to send our luggage ahead. I'm just trying to cover all bases, but I'm still confused!

Looking forward to our visit!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Apr 17, 2018 - 8:47 PM in reply to Tamival

The only leg of the Golden Pass Line which has truly Panoramic coaches is Zweisimmen to Montreux. You can’t reserve seats on 30 April in any class.

The Panoramic trains should be the ones departing Zweisimmen at 8:25, 10:25, 12:25, 14:25 an 17:05. That’s when they depart when there is no construction so I am assuming the same applies in April. No guarantees.

If that timing doesn’t work for you I wouldn’t worry too much the scenery is still the same on the other trains and 1st Class will most likely be pretty empty so you can roam from side to side.

Just to ease your mind, we travelled Luzern to Interlaken 1st Class in late May. There were 3 other people in the coach so we needn’t have bothered making reservations. There is definitely no need to reserve seats between Interlaken and Zweisimmen even if you can.

Tamival
Tamival
35 posts
Apr 17, 2018 - 9:40 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks for the info. We have 2nd class Travel Passes so should we upgrade in Lucerne to 1st class to be able to 'roam' the 1st class coach? Or are you saying we can move about with 2nd class tickets? I understand we can't reserve seats. Thanks!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Apr 17, 2018 - 10:14 PM in reply to Tamival

I wouldn’t bother upgrading. Up to you if you want to pay for a bit more space. See inside “packed” 1st Class carriage on Luzern-Interlaken Express here.

tanman
tanman
15 posts
Apr 18, 2018 - 2:56 AM

We took the GoldenPass from Montreux to Zweisimmen last week, and while the trains we took were marked Panoramic on the schedule, we only got the Panoramic coach (the golden-colored first class coach with the VIP seats at the front) for half the trip (from Chateau d’Oex to Zweisimmen). The train car for the other half of the trip (from Montreux to Montbovon) was still nice with huge windows and we still got great views, but it didn't have the little windows at ceiling level or the "VIP" seats

We had first class passes, and were four of probably 10 people in first class. We didn't (couldn't) reserve seats, but were able to sit in the "VIP" seats on the Chateau d’Oex to Zweisimmen leg

Last modified on Apr 18, 2018 - 3:01 AM by tanman
rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Apr 18, 2018 - 3:01 AM in reply to tanman

Hi tanman,

Thanks for the information. What time did you depart Montreux? Was it 44 past the hour?

tanman
tanman
15 posts
Apr 18, 2018 - 3:09 AM

Yeah, we had planned for the 9:44 departure from Montreux because we wanted the panoramic train. The train we boarded only had 3 cars, and while they had "GoldenPass/MOB" written on them in small print, they were not the golden-colored train cars I had seen online. We passed a GoldenPass train going the opposite direction while we were enroute to Montbovon which *did* have the panoramic, golden car with VIP seats, and I assume that was the train that left Montbovon at 9:28 (would have left Zweisimmen at 8:25 if the train line were intact). Similarly, when we were traveling Chateau d’Oex to Zweisimmen in the Panoramic compartment, the GoldenPass train in the other direction did not have the Panoramic/VIP compartment.

My guess (based on this single observation, so it could be entirely wrong) is that there's one Panoramic car running Montreux to Montbovon and one running Chateau d’Oex to Zweisimmen, and at least that day, it seems like they were staggered so that you would get a Panoramic coach on half the trip on any of the journeys scheduled to be Panoramic.

Last modified on Apr 18, 2018 - 3:10 AM by tanman
rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Apr 18, 2018 - 3:22 AM in reply to tanman

The VIP seats aren't on every departure. In June the 9:44 is a VIP seater but the 11:44 isn't.

I think your guess is right. The construction has got them out of kilter so it probably is pot luck whether you get a Golden train or the other model.

According to MOB the GoldenPass MOB Panoramic with VIP seats will be taken out of service on 3 September 2018 and completely revised (not sure when they will return). There will be regular GoldenPass MOB Panoramic with panorama carriages in 1st and 2nd class.

The GoldenPass Classic will be undergoing renovations from 8 January to 29 June. From 30 June, the three Belle Époque coaches will be put back into operation and the name of the train composition will change to GoldenPass MOB Belle Époque . During the conversion period, a scheduled train operates with conventional coaches

Last modified on Apr 18, 2018 - 3:26 AM by rockoyster
tanman
tanman
15 posts
Apr 18, 2018 - 3:26 AM

Ah okay, I just took a look at the schedule and realized there's a different number code on the schedule for journeys with the VIP seats that I hadn't seen before - I had assumed all "Panoramic" journeys had VIP seats and just got lucky with picking the 9:44!

By the way, thanks so much for all your posts on this forum - they were hugely helpful in planning our trip before we left!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Apr 18, 2018 - 3:28 AM in reply to tanman

Your welcome tanman and thanks for your feedback. Have another look at my earlier reply I just added a bit.

Last modified on Apr 18, 2018 - 3:28 AM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018