One-way day tour – Zurich to Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 14:50:39 #815653

Hi, we are passing through Switzerland as part of a European rail holiday. We arrive in Zurich and leave the next day from Geneva towards Lyon. Can anyone suggest a good one-day tour which will start in Zurich but leave us in Geneva, where we have accommodation booked?

Thank you for your suggestions,

Rick (UK)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 17:04:57 #883821

Hi Rick, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

What would you like to do? Visit a city or just enjoy scenery. How long would you like to spend on the train? And when are you traveling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 23:38:13 #883822

We need a few more timing hints – ie when do you arrive in Zurich.

The most obvious (to me) touristy route would be Zurich – LuzernInterlakenMontreuxGeneve, but that takes quite a while.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 May 2018 at 23:47:30 #883823

Hi 1960man –

We don’t have enough data to allow a thoughtful response…answers to Chantal’s questions could guide us.

Off hand, with no guidance, I’d pick the fastest route and stopover along the way?

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 May 2018 at 0:49:51 #883824

Hello Rick and others who are contributing to this string.

We really need more information before giving helpful recommendations. Are you staying in Zurich the night before your one day visit/trip culminating in Geneva. Are you able to leave Zurich in the early morning ? Do you have a time when you need to be in Geneva ? If we know this, we will have a pretty good idea of how many hours (not days, not weeks) you have for your “grand tour” of Switzerland. If you are only leaving Geneva for Lyon the next day, perhaps you can get into Geneva fairly late in the day.

If you take the route suggested by 1960man you need to know that for much of the day you will be on one train or another. The flip side of this is that you will see some beautiful scenery.

If you go via Berne or Neuchâtel your trip will be much faster, and so you will have much more time to get off the train(s) and explore cities along the way. The flip side of this is that you will be running through much flatter country.

If it was me visiting Switzerland for the first time, I would be inclined to get a very early start from Zurich and travel via Lucerne, Interlaken, and Montreux. But that’s just me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 12:08:06 #883825

Hello all,

We arrive in Zurich on Saturday 26 May at 8.20 am, coming from Vienna by sleeper train. We need to be Geneva, where we have a room booked, by the evening, in order to leave the next morning for Lyon (where we will spend a little more time). We are just passing through Switzerland quickly as part of a European rail holiday (my wife is pregnant so we don’t want to fly).

What we are looking for is a day tour, ideally by coach, which departs Zurich and finishes (or can drop us off) in Geneva rather than returning to Zurich. We are trying to avoid hill-climbing and cable cars, but are otherwise open-minded about the activity. It would be nice not to jump straight onto another train in the morning or last thing in the evening, but instead use the day to get to Geneva via some sort of sight-seeing.

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

Rick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 15:23:28 #883826

I like 1960man’s suggestion.

It is following the Golden Pass route (Luzern to Montreux via Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen). I’d jump on a train right to Luzern and spend the morning there before the trip and then spend a few hours when you get off in Montreux before heading to Geneva.

You can buy a ticket and get off where you please and board another train later that day.

Are you wanting/needing an actual tour or is doing this on your own your ok as well?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 13:27:30 #883827

Thank you very much – excellent and exciting suggestions!

• The thread ‘One-way day tour – Zurich to Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.