One week itinerary for Wengen & Lucerne in July

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cr91958
Cr91958
15 posts
Jun 24, 2019 - 9:08 PM

Hi all

I am currently finalizing my itinerary for my July trip to Wengen and Lucerne. We are a fit late 50s couple. We do quite a bit of hiking here in the States but no altitude. Typically on vacation, we like to take moderate difficulty level hikes (no technical) and also seek to get away from people if we can. As we are going to the BO in July, I know this will probably not be possible but we are so excited to see Switzerland’s beauty. We are not interested in going to Jungfraujoch. I am unsure as to what level of hiking we can manage because of the altitude. I don’t want to go too easy but am nervous about aiming too difficult! We like to explore an area pretty thoroughly but walk the line between that and packing in so much that we are not relaxed.. We will be spending 6 full days in Wengen and then another half day on either side of travel days for a total of 7 nights and then on to Lucerne for 3 days. We did the math to the best of our ability and will be getting the BO Regional for 8 days. THank you for all your advice and input to this point which I have factored in! Here is what we are looking at (with all days being flexible).

Travel Day-Arrival at 6 PM-explore town

Day 1 CRUISE LAKE BRIENZ/ROTHORN

Brienz-Rothorn-Brienz (walk through town upon return) boat to Giessbach Falls (short) funicular to GrandHotel for lunch- Hike behind the falls and walk back down to Lake-Brienz (short)- Iseltwald--boat back to Interlaken Ost

Day 2 HIKE-MURREN AND NORTHFACE TRAIL

#52 HIKE Grutschalp to Winteregg to Murren (1 hr 15) > take funicular to Allmendhubel-Loop- Hike NorthFace trail to Murren (2.5 hrs)- Walk to Gimmelwald (45 mins)

Day 3 HIKE -MAANLICHEN/KLEINE SCHEIDEGG

Take cable to Maanlichen

#47 HIKE Royal Walk Loop (1.hr) then #33 HIKE Maanlichen to Kleine Scheidegg 3.6 miles 1hr20 (Panaramaweg), #37 HIKE Jungfrau Eiger Walk (1 hour)

Train back to Lauterbrunnen

Walk around Lauterbrunnen and dinner

Day 4- COGWHEEL KLEINE SCHEIDEGG/ HIKE BACHALPSEE

CogTrain Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald, Or cable car Wengen-Männlichen, Maanlichen Grindelwald bus.

#4 First-Bachalpsee > Waldspitz > Bort (Blumenweg) 2.5 hours

Day 5 Lake Thun- boat ride, Spiez Castle - near Lake Thun, Oberhofen Castle near Lake Thun, Lake Brienz- boat ride, St. Beatus Caves (Optional).

Day 6 -not sure what to do here

Day 7-half day

Questions: Just want to make any day isn’t too packed/too light.

Day 2- -I am having difficulty figuring out how to get from Gimmelwald back to Wengen. Would like to head back to hotel and rest and then what? Dinner?

Day 3- Any favorite suggestions for dinner

Day 4-Would love to take the cogwheel train but will it be super crowded to the point where we have to wait for hours?

Day 5- are 2 lake cruises too much? We also will be doing a cruise on Lake Lucerne as well as Brienz

Day 6-not quite sure here what to do. Was thinking about taking the Lauterbrunnen walk through the valley

Day 7-this is a half day as we will be training to Lucerne and will want to explore there that night so we will need to be there around 4 at the latest (which means train by around 1 pm)

We also wanted to see several other things including (in no order):

Schynigge Platte

Grosse Scheidegg

Aare Gorge

Schilthorn

Reissbach Falls and Meiringen

Can any of these be combined with what we already have going? Good for a half day? Must dos/can skips?

Thank you for all your advice/input

Cr91958
Cr91958
15 posts
Jun 26, 2019 - 11:35 AM in reply to Cr91958

Hi,

I am replying to myself to bump this up as I haven't yet received any responses! Maybe I posted too much? I have figured out a few more things such as how to get in Reissbach etc. but still would love some feedback on days being too heavy/light. I know this is subjective but just wanted some input if possible please. Also, some opinions as to whether we can or should do both Lake Thun and Brienz would be great.Please and thank you!

Arno
Arno
13644 posts
expert &
Jun 27, 2019 - 1:56 PM

Hi Cr91958,

We won't forget about you, no worries. Long posts are no problem but it can take a bit more time to reply sometimes.

You have a well thought out itinerary there. Do note that the weather may not cooperate on all days, so be flexible. Too packed/too light is indeed different for everyone, but I don't see anything that's not doable. Do check travel times, and add extra time as hikes are much slower than official walking times if you add breaks and taking pictures: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. You will then see if you can add anything else. If it were me, I would not add more as there will be little time left to just relax and enjoy the views.

Our suggestions for things to do can be found here: www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es.

Both lakes are wonderful, but I don't think it's a must to do a full length boat trip on both. Details can be found on the above link.

Cr91958
Cr91958
15 posts
Jun 27, 2019 - 3:35 PM

Thanks so much for your feedback Arno.

Yes, I have gathered that flexibility is key in Switzerland to all travel plans! Now that iHave a detailed plan so I won't have to waste precious time when I am there figuring things out, I will play it by ear more or less. I will write a trip report upon my return.

Annika
Annika
5421 posts
expert &
Jun 27, 2019 - 3:51 PM

Good to hear, Cr91958. Flexibility is important indeed, but if weather and other circumstances cooperate it's also very easy to just follow a plan that's well prepared in advance. We're looking forward to your trip report!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019