Open itinerary – first time to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 17:54:48 #811933

I am planning on visiting Switzerland in 2018 but I don’t have any rigid plans. This is my first time visiting Switzerland and want to make the most of it.

On a very high level the plan is to –

• Flying from UK between late March and early June (flexible to change for better experience)
    • 7 – 10 nights (10 nights max)
    • Budget £1200 per person (for accommodation, travel in Switzerland and food)
    • Want to experience mix of city culture, alps, lakes and natural beauty that Switzerland has to offer
    • Will be using public transport

I haven’t travelled much in Europe so any help in planning this trip is very much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 19:08:57 #863697

Hi Elle,

We don’t build itineraries here but can help you modify itineraries once you put a rough draft together.

To help you with your trip planning take a look at our page here.

Also, have a look through our pages on ‘What to do‘ and ‘Where to go‘ in Switzerland to help you decide what you want to do when you are here. When you look at one of our town information pages, you can find further details on what to do near that town as well as local accommodation options for every budget.

If you are looking to go up in the mountains the later in June the better. May is typically quite poor for that as some/many mountain lifts are closed for maintenance (in between skiing and hiking seasons).

May can still be a good time to go if you aren’t looking to hike up in the high alpine regions but just visit some of the popular mountain peaks here. Of course the cities and natural beauty are always here! Click here to read more about Switzerland and what to expect here.

Last but not least have a look through our page on Swiss rail passes (as there are quite a few) to see what the various passes offer and their costs/how to buy.
    For help planning your train travel between destinations search through the timetable here.

Once you have an idea of what you want to do and where you want to go you can post an itinerary or further questions here again for me help.

Cheers,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Open itinerary – first time to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.