Operating from Dec 5: Eiger Express – Jungfraujoch

• Annika
    7124 posts
    4 December 2020 at 8:41:02 #825742

Dear travelers,

From December 5, the brand new Eiger Express cable car between Grindelwald and Eigergletscher starts operating. It will provide a quick way (with amazing views) to reach Jungfraujoch. The train routes via Kleine Scheidegg will still be used as well, so you can make an exciting round trip combining several routes and modes of transportation. All information about the ways to reach Jungfraujoch can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch.

Details and impressions of the new Eiger Express are available at v-bahn.jungfrau.ch/en/v-bahn/eiger-express.

The Eiger Express is part of the so-called V-Bahn project, in which both this cable car as well as an updated gondola route to Männlichen (http://www.myswissalps.com/mannlichen/gettingthere) were built.

Have fun exploring!

Annika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    4 December 2020 at 15:12:07 #934485

Thank you for this wonderful news.

Do you know if the Berner Oberland Travel Pass will cover the cost of this new route?

Thanks!

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 December 2020 at 16:14:36 #934486

Hi luvmystang!

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland will provide free traveling up to Eigergletscher, whether it’s by train or by cable car. You have to pay for the additional ticket Eigergletscher-Jungfraujoch. The price for this return ticket is CHF 99 in 2020. We don’t know the 2021 price yet. You can check the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland validity details, updated for 2021, here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity.

I hope this helps you out!

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    4 December 2020 at 18:34:27 #934487

Thank you…that’s great.

So if I don’t proceed all the way to Jungfraujoch, just to Eigergletscher can I then go back down via train to Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen, etc. for free with the pass? I believe that is what you are saying, just double checking.

Thanks again for all you are doing to keep us informed. Hopefully we can travel again REAL soon.

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 December 2020 at 20:54:00 #934488

Hi luvmystang,

Yes, that is possible with the Regional Pass Bernese-Oberland.

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    5 December 2020 at 2:52:33 #934489

Hi Annika,

Thank you for the post. I enjoyed looking through the link to the Eiger-Express. It looks like an amazing ride and the views must be equally amazing from it. I hope to get back to the region in a few years, if not sooner. I stayed in Wengen in 2018, took the cable up to Mannlichen, and did the Granny Walk to Kleine Scheidegg. A bit overcast most of the walk, but the Eiger was in full view the whole time except for the top, which didn’t want to come out of the clouds. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be on this cable car. Thanks again for the post, I am still enjoying looking through the link.

Warm regards,

Danielsan

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 December 2020 at 11:26:26 #934490

Hi Danielsan,

Glad you enjoy exploring this new option! The Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk is great indeed. The views of the Eiger north face are impressive, and they must be breathtaking from the Eiger Express cable car! I hope you’ll soon be able to return to Switzerland to give it a try. And, maybe, re-do the 2018 hike in clear weather :-).

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    9 December 2020 at 20:50:24 #934491

Hello Annika,

Yes, I definitively want to get back to Wengen. Maybe do the Granny Walk again, but if not, I certainly have no regrets, as the day before, I walked/hiked from Grutschalp to Murren and the weather was spectacular. Bright sunshine. The Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau were out in all their glory. The only problem there was that I missed the last cable car up to the Schilthorn by ten minutes..so I will have to do that first….. Again, I had no regrets at all on my trip. So much still to see. It will happen, I just don’t know when.

Warm regards,

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2020 at 9:48:24 #934492

Hi Danielsan,

sound like a plan for me 🙂

I hope you can do it next time, Schilthorn is amazing (too).

Take care,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Operating from Dec 5: Eiger Express – Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.