Can I take a normal train on the Golden Pass line?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2019 at 1:57:10 #822664

Can I take a regular train from Lucerne to Montreux following the Golden Pass route.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2019 at 3:38:32 #916959

Hello Modelbuilder and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Yes. Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 July 2019 at 7:33:08 #916960

Hi Modelbuilder,

All trains, apart from a few with optional seat reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux, are regular trains. You’ll find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2019 at 14:43:15 #916961

Thanks for your answer, very informative. I am trying to do stop overs that follow the Golden Pass Route but when I look at the train tables for Lucerne to Interlaken it shows the train going through Bern. I would like to go straight to Interlaken, I’m sure this is possible or is it.

Annika
    7121 posts
    6 July 2019 at 15:20:19 #916962

Hi Modelbuilder,

The SBB timetable displays the fastest connections by default. Some of them run via Bern, so this route can pop up indeed. However, the timetable should mostly show direct routes along the Golden Pass line, as this actually takes less time than the connection via Bern. So I’m not sure why you seem to get connections via Bern only. The trains you need are called “Luzern-Interlaken Express”. If you want to force the timetable to show this route only, you can enter a “via-station” along the Golden Pass route, such as Lungern, Meiringen or Brienz. It’s explained at myswissalps.com/timeta ble under “Further options”. Our page myswissalps.com/golden pass/gettingthere might be of help too.

If you don’t succeed finding the connections you’re looking for, can you please specify which search criteria you’re entering (departure and arrival station, date, departure time)?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2019 at 21:13:16 #916963

The best way to buy one ticket for the complete route is to look for Luzern to Montreux via Meiringen and Zweisimmen. With that ticket you can break the journey anywhere you like and resume later on the same day.

Some of the trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux will be denoted “PE” for Panoramic Express if you expand the timetable entry. Those are actual MOB Golden Pass trains.

Angel7105
    Participant
    65 posts
    9 July 2019 at 1:03:28 #916964

Hi,

1) Such as me, with swiss travel pass. If i follow regular train from luzern to montreux. Consider free ride, right ? And can save on reservation fee for Golden Pass train.

2) I had install the SBB mobile , but do not know how to differential the normal train route & Golden pass route. Please advise.

Thank you.

Angel7105

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 July 2019 at 3:12:54 #916965

Hello Angel,

1. Correct. You can do the same on the MOB Golden Pass trains as well – reservations are not mandatory – it’s just that you run a higher risk they will be full.

2. I don’t have access to the SBB mobile at the moment but attached are some screen shots of the website timetable. If you click on any entry on the mobile app it will show you similar details. You can clearly see which are regular trains and which are MOB.

Angel7105
    Participant
    65 posts
    9 July 2019 at 3:59:49 #916966

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks alot.. Really a good help.

Angel7105

• The thread ‘Can I take a normal train on the Golden Pass line?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.