Getting to Zermatt from Frankfurt – rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 16:02:51 #814141

Hi Good Day,

Just want to ask you guys what is the best way to Zermatt?

My friends and I are coming from Frankfurt Germany, the initial plan is to go first to Bern then travel via train to Zermatt. We are planning a day trip to Matterhorn Glacier.

I have read about the Saver Day Pass, and read that it’s only available for inter train transportation in Switzerland, am I right?

Can you kindly advice what is the best way and best rail pass?

Thank you very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 17:04:25 #875087

Hi Celine,

Yes the Saver Day Pass is only valid within Switzerland so you could just buy a ticket from Frankfurt to the Swiss border town (probably Basel) if you buy that pass.

If that is your only trip within Switzerland a rail pass would not be beneficial. Are you staying in Bern that day and where else are you traveling in Switzerland? I’m assuming this isn’t a day trip from Frankfurt ??

If you are traveling by train in Germany as well you could look at a two (or more) country Eurail Select Pass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 20:38:42 #875088

Hello Celine,

Using the Bahn.de site you can get from Frankfurt to Bern or just about any other city (eg Brig) in Switzerland for as low as €39.90.

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ bin/query.exe/en?ld=39174

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 21:44:48 #875089

Thank you Lucas and rockoyster

We will probably travelling from Frankfurt by Friday night then spend the whole Saturday at Zermatt. What ticket can we buy that is budget friendly?

We are still thinking if we will stay until Sunday.

Again. Thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 21:55:15 #875090

Are you doing any more travel in Switzerland after Zermatt or returning to Germany?

Your overall Swiss itinerary will dictate whether some form of Pass is warranted.

For more background on Saver Day Pass see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/new-deal-on-saver-day-pass.

An SDP won’t cover Gornergrat or Kleine Matterhorn (unless you also have a Swiss Half-fare Card).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 22:01:05 #875091

We will return tp Germany after Zermatt.

thank you rockoyster

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 17:05:09 #875092

I think your best bet will be finding a good price on a ticket from Frankfurt to Basel and then the Saver Day Pass to cover travel within Switzerland for that day (except mountain trains / cable cars in Zermatt where you need to buy a regular ticket).

You may luck out and find a good price from Frankfurt all the way to Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 21:14:12 #875093

Thank you Lucas! 🙂

• The thread ‘Getting to Zermatt from Frankfurt – rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.