Getting to Zermatt from Frankfurt - rail pass?

Getting to Zermatt from Frankfurt - rail pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
CelineCeline
CelineCeline
4 posts
Jan 25, 2018 - 4:02 PM

Hi Good Day,

Just want to ask you guys what is the best way to Zermatt?

My friends and I are coming from Frankfurt Germany, the initial plan is to go first to Bern then travel via train to Zermatt. We are planning a day trip to Matterhorn Glacier.

I have read about the Saver Day Pass, and read that it's only available for inter train transportation in Switzerland, am I right?

Can you kindly advice what is the best way and best rail pass?

Thank you very much!

Lucas
Lucas
7167 posts
expert &
Jan 25, 2018 - 5:04 PM in reply to CelineCeline

Hi Celine,

Yes the Saver Day Pass is only valid within Switzerland so you could just buy a ticket from Frankfurt to the Swiss border town (probably Basel) if you buy that pass.

If that is your only trip within Switzerland a rail pass would not be beneficial. Are you staying in Bern that day and where else are you traveling in Switzerland? I'm assuming this isn't a day trip from Frankfurt ??

If you are traveling by train in Germany as well you could look at a two (or more) country Eurail Select Pass.

Last modified on Jan 25, 2018 - 5:45 PM by Arno
rockoyster
rockoyster
3694 posts
expert
Jan 25, 2018 - 8:38 PM in reply to CelineCeline

Hello Celine,

Using the Bahn.de site you can get from Frankfurt to Bern or just about any other city (eg Brig) in Switzerland for as low as €39.90.

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ bin/query.exe/en?ld=39174

CelineCeline
CelineCeline
4 posts
Jan 25, 2018 - 9:44 PM

Thank you Lucas and rockoyster

We will probably travelling from Frankfurt by Friday night then spend the whole Saturday at Zermatt. What ticket can we buy that is budget friendly?

We are still thinking if we will stay until Sunday.

Again. Thank you

rockoyster
rockoyster
3694 posts
expert
Jan 25, 2018 - 9:55 PM in reply to CelineCeline

Are you doing any more travel in Switzerland after Zermatt or returning to Germany?

Your overall Swiss itinerary will dictate whether some form of Pass is warranted.

For more background on Saver Day Pass see www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/new-deal-on-saver-day-pass.

An SDP won’t cover Gornergrat or Kleine Matterhorn (unless you also have a Swiss Half-fare Card).

CelineCeline
CelineCeline
4 posts
Jan 25, 2018 - 10:01 PM

We will return tp Germany after Zermatt.

thank you rockoyster

Lucas
Lucas
7167 posts
expert &
Jan 26, 2018 - 5:05 PM in reply to CelineCeline

I think your best bet will be finding a good price on a ticket from Frankfurt to Basel and then the Saver Day Pass to cover travel within Switzerland for that day (except mountain trains / cable cars in Zermatt where you need to buy a regular ticket).

You may luck out and find a good price from Frankfurt all the way to Zermatt.

CelineCeline
CelineCeline
4 posts
Jan 27, 2018 - 9:14 PM

Thank you Lucas! :)

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018