Our 15 days Swiss Itinery in OCT- comment needed

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2010 at 11:22:29 #804003

Hi, we had made our 15 days Swiss itinery as below and planning to purchase 15 days Swiss Saver Passes for 2 persons. We need your advice for our below itinery and also not sure whether Swiss Saver Passes suitable for us.. If we have Swiss Pass, do we still need to make reservation for seating?

Our itinery as below:-
    Day 1 – From Zurich – Schaffhausen (Rhine Falls) – Zurich (1 overnite).
    Day 2 & 3 – From Zurich to Lugano – Morcote – Lugano (2 overnites).
    Day 4 & 5 – From Lugano to Luzern – Mt. Pilatus/Mt. Titlis – Luzern (2 overnites).
    Day 6 & 7 – From Luzern to Interlaken – Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch – Interlaken (2 overnites, hiking).
    Day 8 – From Interlaken to Murren – Schilthorn – Murren (1 overnite).
    Day 9 & 10 – From Interlaken to Zermett – Matterhon – Gornergrat – Zermatt (2 overnites).
    Day 11 & 12 – From Zermett to Geneve – Montreux – Rochers-de-Naye – Chillion Castle – Geneve (2 overnites).
    Day 13 & 14 – From Geneve to Zurich (2 overnites).
    Day 15 – end of Swiss Trip.

Thank you.
    SwissLovers

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    16 September 2010 at 4:30:43 #831825

Hello Swisslovers, and welcome to the forum! I’d definitely recommend a 15 day Swiss Saver Pass for your itinerary. You’ll be traveling almost each day and you plan on making quite some long (and therefore expensive) train trips. The Swiss Saver Pass offers free travel throughout the country, on nearly all routes you mention. Mountain transportation (such as Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch) is discounted. Please click the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid’ at the Swiss Pass page to take a look at the routes on which the Swiss Pass offers free and discounted travel.

Your Swiss Saver Pass will serve as your train, bus and boat ticket: you can simply get on and off board whenever you like, without having to buy additional tickets, which is very convenient (again, for mountain trains and cable cars additional tickets are required). Seat reservation isn’t required, unless you want to travel by special panoramic trains, but they don’t seem to be included in your itinerary.

As for your travel scheme: personally I’d aim at taking the shortest and most efficient routes. You could make more of a round trip by changing the order of towns. My first idea would be to follow this route: Zurich – Lucerne – Lugano – Zermatt – Geneva – Interlaken (you could take the beautiful Golden Pass route between Geneva and Interlaken) – Zurich. This saves you from having to make the long trip from Zurich to Lugano first, and then travelling all the way back to the north to Lucerne again. Please take a look at the map I mentioned above to see what I mean. You can plan your trips with the aid of the Swiss timetable.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck on your preparation!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2010 at 12:15:15 #831826

Hi Annika, thanks for your prompt reply. Your comment really help us alot. Please advice the following:
    1) Can we use Swiss pass for the Golden Pass Route between Geneva and Interlaken?
    2) I had checked the SBB timetable from Lugano to Zermatt by train will take 6hrs, is it correct? Any suggestion for shorter route?

Thank you.
    Swisslovers

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    18 September 2010 at 8:30:25 #831827

Hello Swisslovers,

Although I’m not Annika I hope this answer may help you:

1 – Your Swiss Pass is also valid between Geneva and Interlaken, but the panoramic Golden Pass Route (Montreux-Interlaken) requires seat reservations. Please view this page for more information.
    2 – Depending on the hour of the day you want to start your trip, I think you have found the right duration. I’ve found something between 5,5 hrs. and a bit more.

Enjoy your trip, it will be wonderful!

• The thread ‘Our 15 days Swiss Itinery in OCT- comment needed’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.