Overcrowded Swiss trains? Reservations?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 8:04:46 #816935

Hi Guys,

I plan to travel end July 26th to 29th July and planning to purchase the swiss travel pass.

Two questions

1. If I do purchase the Swiss Travel Pass do I have to purchase tickets for train rides ?

2. I understand that you cannot reserve seats in trains hence let’s say if there are a lots of passengers will they board the train as in over crowd the train and will we have to stand when travelling ??

Btw we’ll prefer window seats hence if we are to get a window seat is it that we have to come early to the train and stay in the queue ??

I’m asking these queries since I’ll be travelling in the Peak time of Summer

Regards Ishkaan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 8:59:28 #889624

1) yes you don’t need to buy tickets if travelling by swiss travel pass except a few trains and mountain railways .

2) reservation is possible in some scenic train routes.

And there is never so much crowd that you might need to stand and travel the entire way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 15:30:36 #889625

Hi Ishku Bishkey,

Impactedmind is correct – see a coverage map of the routes covered by the Swiss Travel Pass and a list of major mountains that require you to purchase a ticket still (at discount). https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Most trains are not reservable no. Some trains can be reserved but often it isn’t needed as Impactedmind states (unless you must have a window seat). Exceptions are the Scenic trains that require reservations: https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/train

• The thread ‘Overcrowded Swiss trains? Reservations?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.