Overcrowded Swiss trains? Reservations?

Overcrowded Swiss trains? Reservations?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ishkaan
Ishkaan
10 posts
Jun 28, 2018 - 8:04 AM

Hi Guys,

I plan to travel end July 26th to 29th July and planning to purchase the swiss travel pass.

Two questions

1. If I do purchase the Swiss Travel Pass do I have to purchase tickets for train rides ?

2. I understand that you cannot reserve seats in trains hence let's say if there are a lots of passengers will they board the train as in over crowd the train and will we have to stand when travelling ??

Btw we'll prefer window seats hence if we are to get a window seat is it that we have to come early to the train and stay in the queue ??

I'm asking these queries since I'll be travelling in the Peak time of Summer

Regards Ishkaan

Impactedmind
Impactedmind
33 posts
Jun 28, 2018 - 8:59 AM

1) yes you don't need to buy tickets if travelling by swiss travel pass except a few trains and mountain railways .

2) reservation is possible in some scenic train routes.

And there is never so much crowd that you might need to stand and travel the entire way.

Lucas
Lucas
8909 posts
expert &
Jun 28, 2018 - 3:30 PM in reply to Ishkaan

Hi Ishku Bishkey,

Impactedmind is correct - see a coverage map of the routes covered by the Swiss Travel Pass and a list of major mountains that require you to purchase a ticket still (at discount). https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Most trains are not reservable no. Some trains can be reserved but often it isn't needed as Impactedmind states (unless you must have a window seat). Exceptions are the Scenic trains that require reservations: https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/train

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018