Overnight stay in St. Moritz or Chur?

• Tarataylor19
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 January 2023 at 17:05:50 #828851

I’m traveling to Zermatt from Varenna in June. I would like to take the Glacier Express into Zermatt. From Varenna, I will get on a train in Tirano to either St. Moritz or Chur on the Bernina Express. Should I stop for a night in St. Moritz or Chur? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2023 at 22:51:12 #949461

I recommend Chur

Jennyh57
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 January 2023 at 2:14:44 #949462

I have only spent one night in each of Chur and St. Moritz, but I think that St. Moritz is very pretty in June. I would choose there.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    8 January 2023 at 14:24:23 #949463

In my opinion St Moritz is very similar to Zermatt, ski towns with a plethora of shops, restaurants, and hotels. However St Moritz is much less pedestrian friendly as it is more spread out and on the side of a hill. I would suggest staying in one of the small villages nearby instead. Perhaps look into staying at the Waldhaus in Sils with a carriage ride into Val Fex. The Waldhaus is a wonderful historic hotel on the edge of Sils Maria lake surrounded by mountains and at the entrance to the scenic Val Fex.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    8 January 2023 at 14:53:53 #949464

Hi Tarataylor18,

Thank you for your question in regard to an overnight stay in either St. Moritz or Chur.

Both are very different, it really depends on your personal interests and what you are looking to experience.

St. Moritz is a luxury holiday resort town nestled away in Switzerlands’s Engadin valley. Famous for its mineral springs and hosting the Winter Olympics (twice), many visitors flock to St. Moritz for its sheer beauty and range of activities it has to offer, whether it is skiing, hiking or wellness.

More information can be found here on St. Moritz: https://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz.

Chur is one of the oldest towns in Switzerland. It is an historic town and very much worth a visit for its abundance of museums, Bündner Art and the Bündner Natural History museum, just to name two. Shopping, cafes and restaurants are also readily at hand here in the ‘old town.

May I ask, what are your intentions afterwards?

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Tarataylor19
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 January 2023 at 15:44:51 #949465

Thank you for your help. We are going to head to Zermatt and take the the Glacier Express. In Zermatt, we plan to go to Gornergrat (five lakes hike) and the Glacier Palace (I think that is what it is called). We then fly home from Zurich after a few days in Zermatt.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 January 2023 at 16:15:53 #949466

Those are great plans, Tarataylor19. I hope the above suggestions will help you choose between spending a night in St. Moritz or in Chur.

As for your plans in Zermatt: the below links can be helpful:

• The thread ‘Overnight stay in St. Moritz or Chur?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.