Overview of transport in Jungfrau region

• Mixi1977
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 August 2019 at 19:49:27 #823368

Hello

I would like to know how I can find a complete overview of all trains routes, aerial cable routes etc. in the jungfrau region.

Im trying to planning 3-4 days next summer, where I would like to try different transport forms with my kids, to some of the great scenic spots. I would like to visit Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald, Eiger and some of the other great spots if possible in 4 days.

I think we are going to buy a “Jungfra travel pass”, and I found an overview map here : http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-travel-pass/

But I think its difficult to find out, if theres more one transport form from a city to another ? For example you could both take the train or an aerial cable car to murren.

So if anybody can link to a map with all transport forms, in the jungfra region i would be very thankful.

Greetings from Michael (Denmark)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 August 2019 at 20:55:48 #919907

Hello Michael and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Does this help?

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. The entire circuit and side trips are free with the Swiss Travel Pass apart from the Allmendhubel Funicular (50% discount) and the Falls (modest entry fee).

The cable way from Grindelwald to Männlichen is not in operation but there is a replacement bus service.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    12 August 2019 at 22:08:53 #919908

A quick note is that the bus is not free with the Jungfrau travel pass. “Bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg: no discount”

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/valid ity

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 August 2019 at 22:12:50 #919909

Quite right, but I never mentioned the Jungfrau Travel Pass. I was referring to the Swiss Travel Pass as an alternative for Michael to consider.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    13 August 2019 at 3:27:59 #919910

Quite right.. but Michael never mentioned the Swiss Travel Pass so I thought I’d mentioned the limitations of the Jungfrau Pass as that is what he asked about. 😉

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    13 August 2019 at 4:17:57 #919911

Hi Michael

I see you are travelling next summer.

The cable way from Grindelwald to the Männlichen should be in operation by then and the trip up to the Schilthorn is not free with the Swiss Travel Pass after the 31 December 2019. The cable car from Murren to the Schilthorn will have a 50% discount.

Jane

Mixi1977
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 August 2019 at 19:12:15 #919912

Thanks Rockoyster,

The map was exactly what I needed, and it is now printed 🙂 And thank you for your example of a nice circuit. And also thanks for the other answers, pkeer and JaneEB – it is very helpful, .

I have not considered yet, which pass I will buy. But just thought that the Jungfrau travel pass was the cheapest to meet my demands, but I will take a look on the other opputunities.

I have 4 kids in the age 2,5,10,13, and my wife – So I think it´s limited how much we can hike this time. So I’m trying to make a plan that suits all of us 😉 The small ones loves trains, but I don’t think they can resist a whole day on journeys. So 3 days with 3-5 hours of travelling will be great.

I will try to find 3 days with different routes in the mountains and small villages, and then one day in Interlaken. This time I will not take the trips to Schilthorn and the top of Jungfrau – I think I´ll wait until my youngest children is a bit older. Then we will return to Switzerland:-)

Thanks, Michael

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 August 2019 at 20:30:57 #919913

Hi Michael

You don’t say how you are arriving in or departing from the Jungfrau Region.

Your kids will all travel free with a Swiss Family Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard) which is available for free when acquired in conjunction with a Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) or Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard).

Based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

Happy travels. 😎

Mixi1977
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 August 2019 at 20:36:47 #919914

Hello again, and thanks for your support. Our plan is to arrive in lauterbrunnen with car. We are going to stay on camping Jungfrau, which will be our base:) I Will check out the links you’ve sent tomorrow. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

• The thread ‘Overview of transport in Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.