Itinerary options: Geneva to Luzern to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2017 at 1:19:23 #810629

My husband and I are travelling to Europe (France, Switzerland and Italy) from Australia in September this year.

We are late 20s, fit and adventurous. Love a little romance.

I am seeking some advice for our Switzerland portion as I feeling overwhelmed with options!

We have sourced some places and activities we would love to do – but because we don’t know the area, we are unsure how to sequence the items, and which are of more value. I know the value would change person to person, but I am really struggling!

I am also trying to work out the best town to base ourselves in – Interlaken, Murren, Wengen?… so any words of wisdom would be fantastic.

Below is our current itinerary – a work in progress! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Day 1 – Fly into Geneva from Nice (8:00am arrival)

We intend to travel to the Interlaken area (arriving in the late afternoon/early evening) – which stops to make along the way?

Creux du Van Day Trip

Stick to Lausanne and do…

Cathedrale de Norte Dame, Place de la Palud, etc.

With a possible ferry to Montreux to visit Chillon Castle

Sleep in Interlake area.

Day 2, 3, 4 and 5 – leaving on the 5th day (late afternoon) to Luzern

Which hikes to do?

The bridge trail – Sigriswil (1hr40mins)

High Alpine from Rinderberg to Schonried (3hrs)

Schynige Platte circular ridge route (2hrs)

Niederhorn high-altitude hike (3hrs20mins)

First – Bachalpsee – Waldspitz (2hrs30mins)

DEFINITE Itinerary Items:

Interlaken Hang Gliding (2 hours) – available morning or afternoon

Interlaken Alpin Raft – Canyoning – Grimsel 6 Hours leaving at 9:00am OR 12:30pm

DEFINITE trip to

Lauterbunnen – possibly Staubbach Falls and Trummelbach Falls

Other itinerary items to do in the area…

Trift Bridge walk (3hrs)

Grindelward – go up Gondola – ZipRider ‘First Flieger’

Eiger Trail – from Grindelward (2hrs)

Schilthorn – Thrill Walk

Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike (1hr30mins)

Final day – travel to Luzern in the late afternoon

Day 6 – Awake in Luzern

Choices…

Mt Pilatus – Half or Whole Day

Summer Toboggan Ride

Rope Park

Train to Milan in late afternoon OR the next morning

Thank you for taking the time to read mypost, and please know my sincere gratitude for any advice offered.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 January 2017 at 2:21:31 #858295

Hi bucketlist-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Your bucket is full ;-).

You have indeed noted many wonderful places. By late September, you might begin to think about snow in the higher elevations, although it is not likely till sometime in October.

I’ve not yet tried to work on your timeline, but here are some tools to help you:

map.search.ch/?pos=655744,161664&z=1

and, most important of all, the time table:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ timetable

And, some thought and questions, on a random basis.

Exactly how many days and nights do you expect to spend in Switzerland? I think that you might focus on one area, or, perhaps,at most, two.

Don’t be ashamed to answer…any answer that you give will quickly turn into “That is not enough.” 😉

I have visited the Creux du Van twice. From below and from above. Nice, and I’ll see if I can find my photos. (Some are on film.) Not the usual tourist destination, and, in my opinion, not worth a visit on a trip as short as yours. Maybe on your fourth trip. I did it on my 20th and my 82nd trips.

Snowman and I have been there (from the top rim) together. He might have some thoughts.

At random-

<<“Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike (1hr30mins)”>>< The best. Make sure you take cameras.

<<“Schynige Platte circular ridge route (2hrs)”>>

Are you rail fans? If so, I can add some comments.

NIederhorn sounds like a bit much. Are you experienced and fit for hiking at high altitudes ( low oxygen) ?

Have you checked out these routes and the geography on :

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=100& X=615500&Y=168800&laye rs=Wanderland and, for exquite/ excessive detail: map.geo .admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&X=162432.19 &Y=633669.30&zoom=5

You know that you have selected too much. I expect some other comments to help refine your choices. For guidance – do you want to hike- how far, how rigorous, at what altitudes? Ride trains? Museums/walk and old parts of cities? Alps?

Countryside?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2017 at 3:02:53 #858296

Hi Slowpoke – I have read many of your responses in the other forums and notice how helpful you are – before I begin, thank you 🙂

I definitely do not aim to do all the items listed – these are just options, and I’m seeking advice on which to do – which you have already begun to help with 🙂 – I must look like a crazy person!

The stay is 6 days and 6 nights OR 6 days and 5 nights – dependent on the train schedule to Milan on the final day in Switzerland. I know it is not enough, I often anticipate the answer…but I’m not ashamed of it either – simply, my husband and I’s occupations prohibit us from lengthy travel as do finances. Lucky for us, we love to explore and move around. We do enjoy relaxing at home, but when we travel, we aren’t the kind to sit in a hotel looking at a view – we like to get out and maximise our stay.

The focus is Berner Oberland – but stopping somewhere on the way, Lausanne seems to make sense. A few of my friends who are familiar with Germany, Austria and Switzerland insisted on a Day Trip to Luzern – so we placed a day at the end in hope that this would suffice.

Thank you for your advice concerning Creux du Van – the images online were breathtaking, so I assumed if there was time we should go, but within our time restraints, I will take your advice and leave it out of the itinerary.

<<At Random>> responses –

Looks like <<“Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike (1hr30mins)”>> is a must and will add it to the Definite list 🙂

Not sure about dedicating half a day to <<“Schynige Platte circular ridge route (2hrs)”>> – I think we would rather make our way up to Schilthorn instead?

<<Rail fans>>…hmm…we haven’t really explored a country via train before, so this is unknown. I would assume we would love to get out there and breath the air – not 100% on this one.

<<NIederhorn>> sounds like a no go as we are not experienced hikers…thank you of advising!

Answers for your general questions at the end…

<<do you want to hike- how far, how rigorous, at what altitudes?>>

We do want to hike – length is not particularly of preference but a 4-5hour hiking trip would be the longest hike we would take in Switzerland…it is all about the scenery for us – we want to explore our magnificent world – but within our ability. As I said earlier, we are not overly experienced.

<<Ride trains?>>

We are hoping our travels between Geneva-Interlaken, Interlaken-Luzern and Luzern-Milan – would supply us with enough scenic train rides.

<<Museums/walk un old parts of cities?>>

A little in Lausanne and/or Luzern, as we are travelling France and Italy in our trip as well – we will probably have our fair share of these sorts of sights in the remainder of our trip. We would love to celebrate Switzerland’s alluring landscape.

<<Alps?>>

I think we would like to make our way to two peaks – if time and weather permits.

<<Countryside?>>

I was hoping our hiking adventures may cover this aspect.

I will check out the tools now that I have finished my response…but once again, thank you for your time, advice and kindness 🙂

I look forward to hearing any further advice you have in mind 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 January 2017 at 9:53:17 #858297

<<<<Museums/walk in old parts of cities?>>

A little in Lausanne and/or Luzern, as we are travelling France and Italy in our trip as well – we will probably have our fair share of these sorts of sights in the remainder of our trip. We would love to celebrate Switzerland’s alluring landscape.”>>

Luzern is full of tourists at any time of the year, but there is good reason. The site on the river and lake is beautiful; the mountains are close by . The old town is attractive- just to walk around in.

No matter how often you read about the Lion of Luzern, seeing it in person is compelling. My then 8 year old granddaughter, who was bored with “scenery” spent quite a bit of time looking at it when we visited in 2009. See attached.

Less well know, but a unique experience, is the Bourbaki Panorama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnQf8f_8rDk

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/bourbaki-panorama-luzern-luzern.html

http://www.bourbakipanorama.c h/en/

http://www.luzern.com/en/bour baki-panorama

Those links don’t do it justice. No one of any age who has seen it with me has failed to be impressed.

If i can find my images, I’ll post them.

Lake Lucerne (der Vierwaldstättersse, the lake of the four forest cantons) in my opinion is the most beautiful Swiss lake to explore by lake boat, especially the southern end. Lots of walk/hikes nearby, and you don’t have to worry about exertion at high altitudes, which can be tiring at first on walks with climbs.

This thread deals with the southern part:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne.

So does this:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tellskapelle -how-long-is-the-walk

Unless they have the funicular from Kehrsiten to Bürgenstock running, Hammetschwand is hard to reach a bit off the usual tourist track, but we return frequently. You won’t have time, but keep it in mind for the next trip:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-hammetschwand-lift

Three minutes from the main station in Luzern is the Rosengart Collection. An amazing collection of Klee’s and Picassos. Not what you typically find in Italy.

Your friends are correct….Luzern deserves a visit. If people have only two or three days to spend in Switzerland, it is always my first recommendation, and Arno and Annika usually mention it in that context, as well.

Lake Geneva is high on my list, as well.

Lausanne has the Olympic Museum. I’ve not been there, but it gets good reviews on this forum. Ride the funicular down to the lake at Ouchy and walk to it.

http://www.olympic.org/museum /visit/practical-information/getting-here

The views of the lake are quite nice, and lunch at a lake front hotel at Ouchy is a lot of fun. Snowman and I ate at a grand hotel there, whose name escapes me. I’ll ask him, if he does not see ths post. Definitely not cheap, but a wonderful setting with great food. I’m sure that you can also enjoy Ouchy with out spending a lot of money, too.

When I worked in Geneva, I’d always look forward to the train ride to Lausanne. Not super-spectacular, but nice on both sides of the train.

With 5 or 6 nights, you have chosen three places to sleep. Ordinarily, we’d recommend using only two, but you want to keep on the move.

From your answer about trains –

<<“<<Ride trains?>>

We are hoping our travels between Geneva-Interlaken, Interlaken-Luzern and Luzern-Milan – would supply us with enough scenic train rides.”>>

I discern that you are not going to Switzerland just to ride the trains, as some people do. I agree with your comment. The stretch from Montreux as far as Montbovon on the way to Interlaken is spectacular and is part of the Golden Pass route…..don’t go via Bern unless you are really short on time.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Luzern to Italy is a lot faster these days, because the new, super high speed, “Gotthard Basis Tunnel” under the Gotthard starting at Erstfeld just opened. It is a big deal for Switzerland, bringing the Ticino in closer contact with the main part of the country north of the Alps. Longest rail tunnel in the world. The scenery inside is rather boring, however.

map.search.ch/?pos=694968,186376&z=32

Instead, the old rail route over the Gotthard Pass is one of the most amazing pieces of rail engineering in the world, and highly scenic. If at all possible take that route via Göschenen. on the “Gotthard Panorama Section.” It adds about an hour and one half to the journey.

If you have not used the timetable yet, this would be a good chance to learn how to force a slower route than the default (fastest) route. Put an intermediate stop in the “via” or “connections” box. Göschenen for the Gotthard, Zweisimmen for the Golden Pass section between Lausanne and Interlaken, and Meiringen may be needed for the section between Interlaken and Luzern. That’s a nice part of the Golden Pass route, as well.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2017 at 10:19:36 #858298

Hi Bucketlist and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Slowpoke has provided you with a lot of information and his knowledge (especially on hiking) is second to none here so I won’t chime in with anything new there and I don’t want to confuse you with too much new stuff.

I’m not sure how much of our site you have explored yet. You may also find our Swiss rail pass page useful in helping you decide what rail pass to buy and where/how to buy them.

The Bernese Oberland area is indeed one of the best areas of Switzerland to focus on and base yourself in for a most of your trip. Our information page has lots of useful facts: what to do, where to stay and of course lots of pictures for you to see if you haven’t already.

Our About Switzerland page and travelling by train page may prove useful as well if you haven’t read them already!

All the best,
    Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 January 2017 at 13:55:51 #858299

<<“Thank you for your advice concerning Creux du Van – the images online were breathtaking, so I assumed if there was time we should go, but within our time restraints, I will take your advice and leave it out of the itinerary.”>>

Hi Bucketlist –

I found my images of the Creux du Van from the upper rim.

Not the best- hard to get a good impression of the whole sight, but I’ll look them over to see what I can post.

Part of the reason to skip it is you can’t get there. 😉

Well, maybe a rental car with a GPS and a good map. Or a taxi from quite some distance. There is a pleasant country restaurant at Le Soliat, a couple of hundred meters from the rim, so you could get a meal.

There used to be some kind of bus schedule in from ( I think) Le Noirmont to La Ferme Robert, but it does not run anymore. If you did come in from that lower entry, you’d have a significant walk through the woods before you could reach a trail to the top, with a 300 to 400 meter climb. The whole process would a lot of time, and would not be as rewarding as the other things we have discussed.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 January 2017 at 17:42:12 #858300

Here are images referred to in the previous post.

The one of the Alps is taken from near Roche Devant, not too far from Creuz du Van. Both places have restaurants, of course. Both are hard to get to by public transportation.

I think that the bus must have come in from Noiraigue, not le Noirmant. No more. Also, a cab from Les Ponts-de-Martel would be only about10-12 km. but the train to les Ponts-de-Martel would be time consuming.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2017 at 8:47:06 #858301

My apologies for the delayed response!

Wow! I’m a little overwhelmed but very appreciative for all this advice – I just wanted to touch base to say I will be putting it all to good use, but at the moment I’m a little busy with work obligations. Once I have some time to focus on the trip again – I will see how I go and will be posting once again 🙂

Thank you again for your time and efforts,

Bucketlist

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 January 2017 at 9:14:03 #858302

Let us know after you have more questions.

I note that I misspelled Creux du Van a few places. At least, I did get it right a few times. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2017 at 11:32:40 #858303

Okay so I have made some progress! I am yet to decide on travel cards, etc. – and I haven’t put this into a timetable either….but it’s a start!

Once some decisions have been made on the question marks – I will start forming these details.

Day 1

NICE TO GENEVA VIA AIR (8:00am arrival)

GENEVA TO LAUSANNE VIA TRAIN (10:00am arrival)

Visit sights Olympic Museum and Cathedrale de Lausanne

LAUSANNE TO MONTREUX VIA FERRY (IF NOT AVAILABLE – TRAIN) (1:30pm arrival)

MONTREUX TO INTERLAKEN VIA TRAIN (3:00pm depart – 5:00pm arrival)

Check-in Interlaken Accommodation

Day 2

Interlaken

Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg Hike

Train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch…

Jungfraujoch to Lautterbrunnen

Hike to Staubbach Falls and Tummelbach Falls

OR

Eigergletscher to Grindelward – Eiger Trail?

Day 3

Interlaken Hang Gliding 9:00-11:00am

Interlaken Alpin Raft – Canyoning – Grimsel 12:30-6:30pm

Day 4

From Interlaken

Vist Trift Bridge

OR

Visit The Bridge Trail

OR

Visit Grindelwald

OR

Schynige Platte circular ridge route?

Day 5

Depart for Lucerne early morning

Check-in then explore..

Rosengart Collection and Lion of Luzern – amongst others

Some portion of The Swiss Path?

Day 7

Lucerne –

Mt Pilatus Day Trip:

Lucerne to Alpnachstad via Boat

Cogwheel train to the Pilatus

Cable car down to Fräkmüntegg

High Rope Park and Summer Toboggan

Go to Kriens

Walk to the bus stop ‘Kriens, Zentrum Pilatus’ – take bus line 1 to the Lucerne rail station

Eat and Sleep

Day 8

Depart for Milan –

Unsure of which travel pass we are purchasing – after research we will decide train choice

I look forward to hearing your thoughts Slowpoke 🙂

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 January 2017 at 14:38:09 #858304

Hi bucketlist!

Your travel scheme is still pretty full. I’d advise to check each of your plans with the aid of the timetable. Whenever possible, I’d pick the alternative that helps you to cut down on traveling times. For example:

• day 1: the train to Montreux will generally be faster than a boat trip;
    • day 2: I’d prefer the easy hike in the Lauterbrunnen valley towards the Trümmelbach Falls after both the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike plus the Jungfraujoch visit. Note that you may have to re-arrange the order of your plans if weather forecasts show clear skies in the morning, but developing clouds in the later morning or afternoon. In that case you’d better visit Jungfraujoch first, as it’s a waste of your money if clouds block your views.
    • day 3: please see here for outdoor activities. Careful planning is important, especially when it comes to paragliding. Flights may be delayed or cancelled if wind and weather conditions aren’t favorable;
    • day 4: the Trift bridge requires lots of traveling time, so I recommend Schynige Platte or another trail in the Jungfrau region.
    • in general: make sure to create some back-up plans. Many of your plans are highly weather dependent, so it’s wise to make a list of museums, cities or train rides you’re interested in in case of bad weather.

I’m not sure whether your stay lasts 7 or 8 days (there seems to be a day 6 missing ;-)), but in any case I think an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is a wise choice for your plans. It includes all train traveling and even some mountain tops such as Pilatus and Schynige Platte for free. If you plan to take a train to Milan (recommended over a flight), the entire Swiss leg of this journey will be covered as well. Please find details at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass. You can read all about validity and purchase options there. If you want to calculate which pass is most economical, tips can be found at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 January 2017 at 15:03:27 #858305

Hi bucket list –

Annika beat me to it. She also did good job of suggesting specific changes that make sense.

Your days #1 and 4 particularly concern me as being too ambitious. Maybe you could do some of those (Berner Oberland) things on day 6?

At first, I was concerned with jetlag for day #1, as well, but I note that you are coming from Nice. It will still be very hard to do all of those things on day 1. As Annika notes, the train will help, because it has a more frequent schedule and is lot faster. The boat might not match your schedule

You’ll probably want to stash your luggage in the main station at Lausanne, thus losing time savings from catching the boat a Ouchy because you’d have to go back up to get it.. I don’t know where you could leave it at Ouchy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2017 at 10:04:52 #858306

Thank you for your prompt responses! I’m definitely feeling a lot better!

Since your valuable advice, we have been able to form some decisions and rejig the schedule – for attempt 3…hopefully this will be getting close!

I am yet to determine a rail pass as I need to add all of our Europe trip together – we are visiting France and Italy as well. At this stage the Eurail pass seems to make the most sense from the surface. Once the itinerary for Switzerland is done (the trickiest of the three) – I will be able to make an informed decision. I will certainly utilise the link you supplied Annika (myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass)

Day 1

NICE TO GENEVA VIA AIR

GENEVA TO LAUSANNE VIA TRAIN

If time permits…visit sights Olympic Museum and Cathedrale de Lausanne – otherwise straight to Interlaken

LAUSANNE TO MONTREUX VIA TRAIN

MONTREUX TO INTERLAKEN VIA TRAIN

Check-in Interlaken Accommodation

Day 2

Interlaken

Hang Gliding follows schedule the remainder of the day:

Visit Grindelwald and First Flyer Zipline

Day 3

Interlaken

Train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch

Jungfraujoch to Lautterbrunnen

Hike to Staubbach Falls and Tummelbach Falls

Day 4

Interlaken

Interlaken Alpin Raft – Canyoning – Grimsel 9:00am-3:30pm

Day 5

Depart for Lucerne early morning

Check-in then explore..

Rosengart Collection and Lion of Luzern – amongst others

Some portion of The Swiss Path

Day 6

Lucerne –

Mt Pilatus Day Trip:

Lucerne to Alpnachstad via Boat

Cogwheel train to the Pilatus

Cable car down to Fräkmüntegg

High Rope Park and Summer Toboggan

Go to Kriens

Walk to the bus stop ‘Kriens, Zentrum Pilatus’ – take bus line 1 to the Lucerne rail station

Day 7

Depart for Milan VIA TRAIN

If there is any possibility of fitting in the Schynige Platte Circular Ridge Route somewhere – please let me know, even if it would be a tight squeeze! OR if the Schynige Platte Circular Ridge Route would be better than another itinerary item?

Also…

Slowpoke….thank you for reminding me of our luggage! Had completely slipped my mind!

– I will make sure I am very time aware on Day 1 – getting to Interlaken will be the priority, and if things don’t go to plan…hopefully Lucerne will make up for Lausanne if we don’t get to stop.

Annika…your advice is very much appreciated – thank you kindly!

– If there are any problems to the Hang Gliding winds, etc. – we intend on swapping the day. We have discussed this with the company 🙂

– A wet weather plan will be next on my plan 🙂

– The whole Day 6 option was a typo – my apologies!

Thank you again!

Annika
    7104 posts
    28 January 2017 at 10:42:38 #858307

Hi bucketlist,

Your revised itinerary seems to be more doable time wise, so that’s an improvement. I don’t really see options for Schynige Platte though, unless you’re willing to drop other plans on day 2, 3 or 4. Good that you’ve already been contacting the rafting/paragliding company.

When you start looking for rail passes, note that a Eurail Pass will only make sense if you plan on intensive traveling in Italy and France as well. If not, separate solutions for each country will probably be better. Eurail Pass coverage for Switzerland isn’t as good as the Swiss Travel Pass coverage. The link you’ll be using explains how to compare validity and prices. Good luck!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    28 January 2017 at 16:34:43 #858308

Hi Slowpoke,

< He (that’s me!) might have some thoughts (on Creux-du-Van >

I agree with you. CdV is off their itinerary. They should do it next time. The top rim is more impressive than Ferme Robert, but difficult to reach (no public transport, small roads only).

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    28 January 2017 at 16:38:20 #858309

Hi Slowpoke,

I like especially photo A310910. I bet you had a tripod!

(Hahaha…)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 January 2017 at 17:00:17 #858310

Hi Snowman-

<<“I like especially photo A310910. I bet you had a tripod!”>>

Thanks.

Don’t remember if I did. Perhaps I borrowed yours? Image stabilization in the Oly is good enough that I might not have needed a tripod.

I’ve had suggestions to remove the tree. I guess we’ll have to go back. Maybe the restaurant will be open. 😉

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    28 January 2017 at 17:06:31 #858311

Hi Bucketlist,

I agree with Slowpoke’s advices, and will just add a few points.

You have quite something in mind! What a challenge!

Day 1

You don’t want to visit Geneva. You have probably been there before. You know (because myswissalps.com gives you comprehensive advice on Swiss trains) that you can travel by train to Lausanne right from the Geneva Airport rail station. In Lausanne visit either the Cathedral or the Olympic Museum. I don’t know where you come from, but if it is the USA and you like sports Halls of Fame you might like the Olympic Museum, which is unique. You will probably see more impressive cathedrals in Italy. If you are in a romantic mood skip both and take the lake steamer to Montreux.

Day 2

Here I assume it is either Hang Gliding or the Flyer Zipline. If you do hang gliding, then there would be nothing exciting for you at the Flyer Zipline. To reach that one you must go to Grindelwald, walk through the village (20 min), take the gondola lift to First (30 min), then you can do the Flyer Zipline (I assume you know what it is; should take two or three minutes), then back to Grindelwald with the gondola lift, etc.

Day 3

Here you may possibly carry out your entire program, although it seems exhausting to me. I would skip one hike, if not both of them. Or the Joch if it should be foggy up there. Jungfraujoch is higher than 3000 m above sea level, you want to relax a bit up there. And stay there for 2 hours.

Schynige Platte

You probably know that Schynige Platte can be reached by train from Interlaken (change at Wilderswil). I hiked once from Schynige Platte to First, very scenic. I think half of the Circular Ridge hike is on that trail. I strongly advise mountain boots, and not to attempt if the weather is bad.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2017 at 3:30:45 #858312

Thank you for sharing your thoughts – once again I have done a slight schedule shift…

Annika – thank you for the feedback and additional wisdom regarding Eurail, etc. 🙂

Snowman – after reading through your advice – which was extremely helpful! Once we gain some more experience, we will definitely keep the Schynige Platte to First Hike in mind – looks superb! Otherwise, we have made the following changes based on your advice and further research…

– Montreux – We are from Australia, so after a chat with the husband – we are skipping the cathedral and Olympic Museum, and will spend the time we have (if we have any) in Montreux.

– We have shuffled our Day 2 and 3 – removed Grindelwald and added flexibility to Day 3….

Day 2

Interlaken

If Hang Gliding follows schedule the remainder of the day…

ONE of the following:

Schynige Platte Circular Ridge Route

Lautterbrunnen – Staubbach Falls and Tummelbach Falls

Day 3

Interlaken

Train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch

If we have the time and energy – make our way to the alternate option from Day 2

I am now beginning to feel a sense of flow and my excitement is growing – I can’t thank you enough for all your help – you have completely saved us!

Thank you 🙂

Annika
    7104 posts
    29 January 2017 at 10:25:22 #858313

Hi bucketlist,

Glad the forum has been helpful so far! It looks like you’re starting to feel comfortable with the changes made. Let me know if we can be of further assistance when you’re looking for the right pass.

• The thread ‘Itinerary options: Geneva to Luzern to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.