Paddle steamer Lucerne to Fluelen connection

Paddle steamer Lucerne to Fluelen connection

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Judy52
Judy52
63 posts
Jun 23, 2018 - 2:16 AM

On the timetable it says there’s a paddlesteamer at 11.12 that arrives in Fluelen at 13.55. We’re booked on the 14.10 GPEX from Fluelen to Bellinzona. So I assume this is the boat we need to take?

Is it ever late which might cause us to miss the train?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3688 posts
expert
Jun 23, 2018 - 2:44 AM in reply to Judy52

Hi Judy,

That's the right boat. The station is very close to the dock.

Is the boat ever late? In Switzerland? 😇

I shouldn't worry; it is all part of the Gotthard Panorama Express experience so even in the unlikely event of the boat being delayed I can't see the train leaving before you make the connection.

Judy52
Judy52
63 posts
Jun 23, 2018 - 2:53 AM

OK, thanks. I guess I think any boat/train etc can be late due to unexpected occurences. If we got the earlier boat it wouldn’t be a paddlesteamer and we’d have to fill in an extra hour in Fluelen. Is there anything to do there?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3688 posts
expert
Jun 23, 2018 - 2:55 AM in reply to Judy52

Don't know if there is anything to do in Flüelen I have only ever walked from the train to the boat.

Take the regular steamer - the ordinary boats don't have the same charm. The boats run with the same clockwork precision that the trains do.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4706 posts
expert
Jun 23, 2018 - 10:10 AM in reply to Judy52

Hi Judy -

Trust the schedule. Doubly so in that case, because, as Rockoyster notes, the boat connects with that train for the Panoramic express. 15 minutes is an unusually long connection time...they've built in some extra time in case of some delay, and that train will wait for the boat unless the boat sinks.

There are not a lot of locals on the Gotthard pass anymore, so they have room to slip the schedule a little bit, too.

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents
rockoyster
rockoyster
3688 posts
expert
Jun 23, 2018 - 10:39 AM

Hmmm. I hadn’t factored in the boat sinking possibility. 😉

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4706 posts
expert
Jun 23, 2018 - 1:54 PM in reply to Judy52

<<"....we’d have to fill in an extra hour in Fluelen. Is there anything to do there?">>

Have a coffee, relax, look at the Worlds Largest Ships Horn, and look at the lake. The main street is very small, with a few hotels.

map.search.ch/?pos=690551,195280&z=51 2.

In case that link shows the map, switch to aerial view.

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018