Palm Express St Moritz to Lugano, Saver Day Pass

• TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    14 July 2022 at 20:07:45 #827772

Hello MSA Forum members

We want to take the Palm Express Bus from St Moritz to Lugano. One Bus operates this route on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Our travel day will be on a Friday. I saw that we have to make seat reservations. The Bus departs at 10h25 from St Moritz Railway Station. So it will be possible for us to take the 7h58 train from Chur for arrival 10h00 in St Moritz.

We will have a Saver Day Pass for this day (We will also have a Swiss Half Fare Card).

I just want to make sure if I do understand the following:

“This route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass/Flex and GA Travelcard”.

Regarding the Saver Day Pass: “The SDP is valid within the area of validity of the GA travelcard”.

When I look at the validity map, the whole route, from St Moritz to Lugano, shows a yellow line which is for Buses.

Now this is where the confusion comes: Part of this Palm Express is in Italy (from Chiavenna to Menaggio). I see that the Italy/Swiss border town will be Gandria. The wording on the Saver Day Pass info states that the SDP is only valid in Switzerland. So now I don’t know what goes for what.

Our route for the day will be:

Chur – St Moritz (by Train) We will use a Regular Train and not the Glacier Express Train: Saver Day Pass

St Moritz – Menaggio – Lugano: Saver Day Pass ?? Yes or No

Lugano – Locarno (by Train): Saver Day Pass

Please advise.

TravelElla

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 22:14:08 #944306

The continuous red (train) and yellow (bus) lines on the GA Travelcard/STP/Swiss half fare card etc synoptic maps indicate these lines are free to anyone with a valid ticket. Some routes outside Swiss borders (for historic, practical or technical reasons) are Swiss-owned so Swiss tickets are valid.

The Palm Express bus route is one of these

For comparison, other similar routes outside Swiss territory but Swiss-owned or operated include:

Centovalli line Domodossola – Camedo (Locarno)

Simplon main line (Brig – Domodossola)

Zurich – Schaffhausen (crosses through part of Germany)

Zernez – Livigno (Italy)

Scuol – Landeck (Austria)

Anna
    6355 posts
    15 July 2022 at 8:47:34 #944307

Hi TravelElla,

The route is fully covered by the GA Travelcard. Essentially this also means the Saver Day Pass is valid on the entire route (including the portion located in Italy): https://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/validity. For your information, the SDP basically functions like a day-pass version of the GA.

Regards,

Anna

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    15 July 2022 at 10:59:20 #944308

Hello 1960man

Thank you so much for your clear and detailed information and explanation regarding my confusion.

This is really very good news!! I do understand everything much better.

Such a relief that we can do this whole route with a Saver Day Pass.

Greetings

TravelElla

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    15 July 2022 at 11:01:29 #944309

Hello Anna

Thank you very much for your confirmation. I appreciate your help and input.

This Forum is really the best to help and clarify our questions for travelling in Switzerland.

Greetings

TravelElla

• The thread ‘Palm Express St Moritz to Lugano, Saver Day Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.