Panoramic trains - Reserved and unreserved coaches

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Namrata
Namrata
23 posts
Apr 23, 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

When I look up the Panaromic trains for reserving a seat - say 3126 from Montruex or 4076 from Zweisimmen, it shows me 4 coaches, with 2 coach where reservation can be done.

Some queries:

1) So, are the other 2 coaches always unreserved and no passenger can reserve a seat in it ?

2) Does it ever happen that there are no seats and more passengers wanting to board the train. In such a scenario, can all passengers board the train or it is on first come first serve basis and once the coach is full, new passengers are not allowed to board ?

3) Is the reservation cancellable / refundable ?

4) We are travelling on 20th May. How is the tourist load during such times ?

Regards

Namrata

Lucas
Lucas
9601 posts
expert &
Apr 23, 2017 - 5:48 PM in reply to Namrata

Hi Namrata,

I'm not sure how you are looking up the schedules and reservations? Are you using the Swiss railways timetable here? Its easier if you list the train times to find them rather than the train #s.

Usually all seats on the panoramic trains are reservable. Perhaps the other carriages are already booked? It's hard to tell what site you were using. Use our link for reservations here (see the bottom of the page).
It is possible that the panoramic trains are fully booked in the summer yes. But it isn't too common. I would always reserve seats on this route.
No it is not refundable
I don't think it would be too busy in late May - it isn't full tourist season yet.

Lucas

Last modified on Apr 24, 2017 - 3:59 PM by Lucas
Namrata
Namrata
23 posts
Apr 24, 2017 - 4:19 AM

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your inputs.

I am referring to the site you have mentioned. I am attaching screen shot. It shows one coach in grey and other in blue. I can only book seats in the blue coach. What does grey coach signify?

Regards,

Namrata

Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
9601 posts
expert &
Apr 24, 2017 - 6:37 AM in reply to Namrata

Thanks Namrata!

Yes, those carriages are booked then - they don't hold seats on those trains for "walk-ons".
If you are not wanting to be tied to a reserved seat I think you could get away without a reservation but there is no guarantee a seat will be available.

Lucas

Namrata
Namrata
23 posts
Apr 24, 2017 - 1:57 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas

So if all seats are reserved, then walk on passengers will not be allowed to board. Do I understand it properly?

Regards

Namrata

Lucas
Lucas
9601 posts
expert &
Apr 24, 2017 - 4:00 PM in reply to Namrata

normally on panoramic trains you can't board without a reservation, but on this train the reservations aren't mandatory....but you may not have a seat if it is fully booked.

Lucas

Last modified on Apr 24, 2017 - 5:44 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018