Hike from Elm over Panixerpass in September

• jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    21 May 2019 at 12:58:01 #821761

I’m planning to hike from Elm over Panixerpass in September this year. Having spare luck getting info. Seems there an un-manned Panixerpasshutte there with 14 beds. Given that the trail time from Elm down to Ilanz looks to be maybe 10 hours I think it would be self forgiving to break the trek at the pass. Can anyone tell me anything about the hutte? My best hope is to carry some snacks and find shelter there.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 May 2019 at 15:53:14 #912975

Hello Jackdebear, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

it’s just as you say, un-manned. It operates on a first come, first served basis. So it would be wise to arrive there early, say, before 4 pm. September should be allright, but you never know if a larger group shows up, esp. on weekends. Cookware and firewood available, as well as spring water, bring all your food, and sleeping bags. There should be a logbook for your registration, and a piggy bank for your fee (bring cash incl. small change). Honor system, play along, clean the mess, I assume you know all that.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    21 May 2019 at 16:17:43 #912976

Thanks. It’s about what I expected. I’ll be there mid-week and given that it’s 4 or 5 hours from Elm I’m not expecting to find it full. Ran into the same plan at D’Ela CAS a few years ago. Left 20 chf in the box. Are you sure there are no blankets? There were at D’Ela. Wasn’t planning on carrying stuff like that although I have it on my ‘maybe’ list.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 May 2019 at 16:25:17 #912977

I’ve never been there so I’m not sure of anything. Indeed, usually there are blankets and “hut shoes”. So the sleeping bag you could take along is a rather a silk liner or similar. Who knows, there might even be beer bottles (again, compensate into the piggy bank).

Yes, except water bring your food along. Nobody will fix a breakfast for you up there.

• The thread ‘Hike from Elm over Panixerpass in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.