Hike from Elm over Panixerpass in September

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jackdebear
jackdebear
75 posts
May 21, 2019 - 12:58 PM

I'm planning to hike from Elm over Panixerpass in September this year. Having spare luck getting info. Seems there an un-manned Panixerpasshutte there with 14 beds. Given that the trail time from Elm down to Ilanz looks to be maybe 10 hours I think it would be self forgiving to break the trek at the pass. Can anyone tell me anything about the hutte? My best hope is to carry some snacks and find shelter there.

Snowman
Snowman
649 posts
top member
May 21, 2019 - 3:53 PM in reply to jackdebear

Hello Jackdebear, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

it's just as you say, un-manned. It operates on a first come, first served basis. So it would be wise to arrive there early, say, before 4 pm. September should be allright, but you never know if a larger group shows up, esp. on weekends. Cookware and firewood available, as well as spring water, bring all your food, and sleeping bags. There should be a logbook for your registration, and a piggy bank for your fee (bring cash incl. small change). Honor system, play along, clean the mess, I assume you know all that.

Last modified on May 21, 2019 - 3:54 PM by Snowman
jackdebear
jackdebear
75 posts
May 21, 2019 - 4:17 PM

Thanks. It's about what I expected. I'll be there mid-week and given that it's 4 or 5 hours from Elm I'm not expecting to find it full. Ran into the same plan at D'Ela CAS a few years ago. Left 20 chf in the box. Are you sure there are no blankets? There were at D'Ela. Wasn't planning on carrying stuff like that although I have it on my 'maybe' list.

Snowman
Snowman
649 posts
top member
May 21, 2019 - 4:25 PM in reply to jackdebear

I've never been there so I'm not sure of anything. Indeed, usually there are blankets and "hut shoes". So the sleeping bag you could take along is a rather a silk liner or similar. Who knows, there might even be beer bottles (again, compensate into the piggy bank).

Yes, except water bring your food along. Nobody will fix a breakfast for you up there.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019