Panorama seats on the Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2011 at 11:19:15 #805703

Hi

I plan to travel Geneva to Interlaken and back. On the outward leg of the journey I want to go via the Golden Pass, which I know is longer and a bit more expensive, but very lovely. I have a half price pass.I have two questions for you.

1. How do I know which trains have panorama coaches and how far in advance do I need to reserve a seat (travelling in March)? Can I book and reserve on the day of travel?

2. I intend to return via Bienne, as I have heard this is an interesting trip (I usually travel to Berne and Basel via Olten). Do I need to specifiy this connection when buying my ticket, or can I travel on any ticket back to Geneva?

many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 February 2011 at 8:52:57 #837799

Hello plumbly!

1. This information can be found in the Swiss timetable. First, check all connections on the Golden Pass route by filling out ‘Geneva’ as your departe station and ‘Interlaken Ost’ as your arrival station. Next, enter ‘Zweisimmen’ as your via-station. The timetable will then come up with available connections on this route. Click ‘show all details’ right below the list of connections for more information. Golden Pass Panoramic trainsare indicated by ‘GOLDENPASS PANORAMIC’ under the header ‘comments’. This way you can see if a panoramic train is involved or a regular train. Moreover, the Golden Pass Panoramic timetable is available through the Golden Pass website. Although March typically isn’t high season for tourists, I’d still recommend to book well in advance. Golden Pass trains are popular and if you want to be sure of good seats, you can best arrange for this before leaving to for Switzerland. Booking shortly in advance is or course possible as well, but in this case you may find that no seats are available.

2. Travelling from Interlaken Ost to Geneva via Biel/Bienne is longer and more expensive than using one of the regular routes (that is, via Bern and Lausanne or via the Golden Pass route). So yes, you should purchase a ticket from Interlaken to Geneva via Biel/Bienne. All prices can be found through the Swiss timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 November 2012 at 19:40:30 #837800

hi,

1, I have the same situation. travel 3-4 days. GENEVA-Montrex-Zweisimmen-interlaken- JUNGFRAUJOCH then go back to Geneva. I have followed you previous reply to book the ticket. I will travel 13th Dec and return at 15th Dec. the problem is I saw the train 8:33 comment is Golden Pass Panoramic. then I continue to book it. At the final step of ticket and payment, the tickets didnot show the train accurate time 8:33, only the date 13,DEC,2012. so i am wondering… it that means the ticket valid for the all of the day? can I taken the Golden Pass Panoramic one.

2, 3 days, 2 adults, do you think we need to buy the discount travelcard or not?

thanks

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 November 2012 at 7:43:01 #837801

Hi Ginny. You can book seats through several websites, so I’m not sure which one you mean. I think you can best contact this specific website to ask about the train time displayed on the ticket.

You can explain what you mean with discount travelcard? There are lots of rail passes to choose from. Which one is best, depends on the exact length of your stay in Switzerland and your travel plans. In your case, I think a Swiss Half Fare Card would work. Or, depending on your further plans, a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass or a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. Is this the information you’re looking for?

• The thread ‘Panorama seats on the Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.