Roundshot panoramic cameras in Switzerland

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    1 June 2019 at 18:11:53 #821963

There are over 240 Roundshot panoramic webcams set up all over Switzerland. These give people thinking about travel to Switzerland a huge variety of views, sometimes from the tops of mountains, other times from towers and buildings, and also from locations of some interest. They also give people in Switzerland a view of the current weather situation. Here is a repertoire of all the Roundshot camera locations in Switzerland. http://www.roundshot.com/xml_ 1/internet/en/applicat ion/d170/f172.cfm At the top of the page is a map which you can use to zoom in to find cameras in areas you are interested in, and further down you can find miniatures of locations, any of which you can click on to bring up to full screen.

A few cameras I am watching right now are La Tête-du-Ran (NE) and Montmagny (VD) and the Säntis (SG), and further South, Monte San Salvatore (TI). These also encourage you to manipulate the zoom and have other fun features. Just see what you can find by playing around with your mouse. Places of interest are shown to help you familiarize yourself with the area. Some of these cameras (a good example being the Montmagny one above) pinpoint the locations of places, events and restaurants and the like. Rather commercial but still very interesting. The only sponsor of the Ticino one I am watching is Swisscom. The Montmagny one shows the location of the webcam on the Chasseral (canton of Berne) and the one on Chaumont (canton of Neuchâtel). I highly recommend these cameras for people who want to explore Switzerland, to get to know it better before coming to visit.

By the way, as you can see if you click on any of these panoramas, you’ll see that the weather has been fantastic today !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 June 2019 at 21:24:15 #913857

Great. Thanks for sharing, Peterli.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    1 June 2019 at 21:36:25 #913858

I see you are 2 posts away from number 6000. That’s a whole lot of contributing you have done, and it has been very helpful to many visitors to Switzerland. See attached. I’d flip it over for your southern location, but then it would only read 0009.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 June 2019 at 21:50:09 #913859
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 June 2019 at 23:54:30 #913860

Hi Peterli-

Merci vielmal –

Nice website.

However, except for one at Marbach, marginal, there are none in the nicest part of the Mittelland- the Emmental.

And, the Dreiseenland gets short shrift… Two on Lac Neuchatel (of course,near you) and one at Murten (oops, Morat).

You have often lamented the overemphasis in these fora on the few famous sights in the Alps. I think this site strengthens that emphasis. Nothing on the Bode except…Rorshach? Nothing for St. Gallen? You’ve got to be kidding!

What do you think?

I have noticed that this site is a more “equal opportunity” site:

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1156158815

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/st.%20gallen-2658822/

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/gare%20vinifuni %20ligerz-8261097/

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:03:02 #913861

Love the 24 hour (and longer) playback feature on that site Slowpoke. Eg m.swisswebcams.ch/webc am_full.php?webcamid=1354463455

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:05:16 #913862

6003? Whoopee!

I still like my thumbnail better than yours. Although the previous edition was stunning!

But, you do seem more productive right-side up.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:13:15 #913863

A holiday in Perth slowed me down for a while there. 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:15:27 #913864

How are things in the “Wild West”?

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:59:45 #913865

Hey Slowpoke,

Check out the failing light in Morat, right now: morat.roundshot.com/

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 June 2019 at 1:35:02 #913866

Lordy, you were already over 6000 when you replied !

Are you and Slowpoke in some kind of a competition ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 June 2019 at 1:54:22 #913867

A competition? Wouldn’t dream of such a thing. 😉

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 June 2019 at 1:55:10 #913868

Not sure about “wild” but by golly it is flat (as a pancake).

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 June 2019 at 5:53:32 #913869

And check out the morning view from the Chasseral. chasseral.roundshot.co m/ All of the three lakes and the entire line of the Alps in the distance. Another beautiful day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 June 2019 at 6:34:58 #913870

<<“And check out the morning view from the Chasseral. chasseral.roundshot.co m/ All of the three lakes and the entire line of the Alps in the distance. Another beautiful day.”>>

Sure is.

Niceto see that Swisscom is providing the service, too

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 June 2019 at 6:54:53 #913871

<<“Are you and Slowpoke in some kind of a competition ?”>>

Rockoyster is very productive….good information, too.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 13:50:58 #913872

Hey Peterli,

What a fantastic page, thanks a million for sharing! Not only for Switzerland, also for Swiss travelers 😉

The weather has indeed become great..close to hot I’d say! Finally.

Kind regards,
    Steph

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    3 June 2019 at 1:41:29 #913873

Rockoyster and Slowpoke are now both well over 6000 posts. It may or may not be a competition but it is impressive nonetheless. Too bad Alpenrose opted out some time ago or it could have been a real 3 way contest. But on a more serious note it is a testament to their broad knowledge of Swiss travel likely obtained through years of experience and their willingness to share. (As opposed to my knowledge which is limited to only 2 specific areas). I have enjoyed expanding my knowledge on this website and hope to have 3 areas I can comment on after an upcoming trip to theTicino region in 3 weeks. PS Does Rockoyster and Slowpoke hold the records for most posts by non moderators? i expect Arno would know.

Mark

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 June 2019 at 7:11:37 #913874

Hello Mark,

If I remember correctly, your 2 specific areas are the Berner Oberland and Zermatt. Am I correct ? You will certainly enjoy the Ticino. How many days do you plan to stay there ? Are you going to have one base and then do your exploring ? If you are interested, I can give you a short list of places you might find interesting.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 June 2019 at 11:35:23 #913875

Hi Mark-

<<“broad knowledge of Swiss travel likely obtained through years of experience”>

Mine started in 1980, traveling an business, and I’ve tried to visit some of the less traveled corners of the country. So, that tends to make some of my knowledge obsolete.

The amazing think is that Rockoyster manages all that with a lot fewer years of experience, and almost always gets it right. 😉 Actually, he benefits because his information is more up-to date.

Ticino –

My pictures from the Ticino are all on film, and not available on my storage drives. That tells you how long ago we spent time there.

We enjoyed the Val Vercasca, and chose to drive to Sognono. A bit gentrified, but the ambience in such a remote valley is a comment on Swiss lives in earlier eras.

The terrain, and abandoned villages, reminds you why so many Ticinese left for California.

This is on my list for “someday.”

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en/experiences/mogno-mario-bottas-mountain-church/

I’ve not been in the Val Maggia yet.

We thought about the trail from Sognono to Bignasco, since it was used routinely to get between the valleys in older times. We decided to see what it was like, since it is not too long. Partway up the hill on a sunny day, we stopped and looked around, admired the ability of the Swiss to walk over mountains, and came back down.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2696268.2 0&N=1135951.09&zoom=5

The Customs Museum was surprisingly interesting:

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/e n/home/the-fca/customs-museum-in-cantine-di-gandria–lugano.html

http://www.ticino.ch/en/commo ns/details/Swiss-customs-museum/2791.html

A friend who hiked in a few years ago said the trail was not well maintained.

We only visited one of the Bellinzona castles, but enjoyed a dinner in the highest, Sasso Carbaro.

http://www.ticino.ch/en/commo ns/details/The-Castle-of-Sasso-Corbaro/2797.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Castles_of_Bellinzona

Everyone has their favorite city. Our is Locarno. Most Swiss friends prefer Lugano; perhaps because it is larger and has more resources.. Have not visited the others of significance.

The Church of the Madonna del Sasso, at the top of the funicular in Locarno brought us back 3 or 4 times.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Madonna_del_Sasso,_Swi tzerland

One trick. From the top station, you walk down a few flights of stairs to get to the church. If you choose to ride the funicular back down from the church, there is small station/stop on the level of the church, allowing you to skip the climb back up.

The Val di Centovalli railroad is worth a detour.

I think that Arno said that there is now a link for the Ticino on the site:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti cino

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    3 June 2019 at 11:57:41 #913876

Hi Peterli

Yes, you are correct I have done most of my hiking around BO and Zermatt and limit my comments to those areas. I have also hiked around Adelboden , Leukerbad and the Dela Valley and Gorge. I especially enjoyed hiking the Hahenmoos and Gemmi passes. But my knowledge of these areas is limited to 1 short visit.

In our upcoming trip we will be based in Locarno. Unfortunately we only have a 1 week stay before transferring to Bolzano for a week hiking in the Dolomites. I am currently researching moderate day hikes (3-5 hr)for both areas. I would certainly welcome any suggestions you can share.

Mark. P.S. I am also in the early stages of planning a trip to the upper Engadine valley, perhaps Sils Maria as base for September 2020.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘Roundshot panoramic cameras in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.