Paper hiking map for the Murren/Gimmelwald area

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ruby
Ruby
8 posts
Mar 16, 2019 - 5:39 PM

We’ll be vacationing in Murren in June and are looking forward to doing a fair amount of hiking while we’re there. We’re looking for a good map of the area that shows hiking trails. Could you point me in the right direction where I could purchase a good detailed paper hiking trail map and where I might be able to find a good map online that I could study in advance of our trip. There’s a lot of individual trail information online and some basic hiking trail maps but I was hoping there was a more detailed trail map specifically for the Murren/Gimmelwald region and possibly the Wengen area as well.

levgon
levgon
10 posts
Mar 16, 2019 - 6:57 PM

I think the free maps that are available all over town, but especially at the lift locations is more than adequate for all of the excellent scenic hikes on the Schilthorn side. But if you really want a detailed map the sport shops around town will sell them.

Arno
Arno
13854 posts
expert &
Mar 16, 2019 - 7:02 PM

Hi Ruby,

This page will help you out I think: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maps.

lbiggs020260
lbiggs020260
15 posts
Mar 16, 2019 - 7:11 PM

hi

for an online map you cannot do better than map.schweizmobil.ch/

have fun

pvonk
pvonk
185 posts
Mar 16, 2019 - 8:40 PM

A great map, especially when you zoom it all the way. I could even find my grandmother’s house!

Maria
Maria
818 posts
top member
Mar 17, 2019 - 12:19 AM

Hi Ruby

In case it helps, you also have some hiking ideas on this link searchable by area and level of difficulty: www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Also links to the areas you're visiting:

All the best for your journey!

Maria.

Nevertoolate
Nevertoolate
69 posts
Mar 17, 2019 - 12:42 AM

Levgon is right that you can buy the area paper map in Muerren at many shops, but if you'd like to get one ahead of time, to facilitate your planning/dreaming, you can order the Muerren Swiss topo map (#1248), at www.swisstopo.ch, or on Amazon.de-- www.amazon.de/1248-Mürren-topographische-Wanderkarte-Schweiz/dp/960212279X/ ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽ

Swiss paper maps are way better than digital, in this old hiker's humble opinion. Analog will never die!

NTL

1960man
1960man
1965 posts
top member
AlanPrice
AlanPrice
215 posts
Mar 17, 2019 - 7:41 AM

Hi.

The hardcore topographic maps published by the Bundesamt fur Landestopographie are the pinnacle of the map makers art. You can get them from most outdoor sports shops in Switzerland.

The best sheet for you would probably be the 1:25000 Lauterbrunnen map, Blatt (sheet) 1228, or the 1:25000 Jungfrau Region, Blatt 3084.

Cheers

Alan

Maloja Snake
Maloja Snake
9 posts
Mar 17, 2019 - 2:40 PM in reply to lbiggs020260

This one is amazing (all the trails, altitudes, public transportation, and tons more) and it is a free download from the IOS app store for my ipad, and search parameters are in English. Its called SwitzerlandMobility.

Desertman
Desertman
10 posts
Mar 18, 2019 - 4:17 PM in reply to lbiggs020260

That's a great map very useful - many thanks for the link

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6483 posts
expert
Mar 19, 2019 - 12:57 AM in reply to Ruby

Hi Ruby-

You got lots of good information; some of it redundant.

This is best map...others use the same data:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=5&E=26 33670.69&N=1159241.27

Color coding explained:

www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Paper maps, with the I.D. numbers noted by others, ,are available from SwissTopo, but can almost always be purchased at stores in the region of interest. Wanderkarten have trails marked..at 1:50,000 and some 1:33,000. The really detailed 1:25,000 do not, as far I know, show the marked Wanderwegen.

shop.swisstopo.admin.c h/en/products/maps

If you come in through Zürich main station, stop at Barth Buecherei for paper versions. They carry a full, set.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Mar 19, 2019 - 12:57 AM by Slowpoke
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6483 posts
expert
Mar 19, 2019 - 1:01 AM in reply to Ruby

<<"We’ll be vacationing in Murren in June and are looking forward to doing a fair amount of hiking while we’re there.">>

I hope it is late June. Early June often ( but not always) has poor hiking. Still snow, slush, and potential avalanches in early June at higher altitude.

Most years, that is....some are better, some are worse.

Slowpoke

levgon
levgon
10 posts
Mar 19, 2019 - 10:37 AM

I know that you didn't ask for this, but I feel strongly that I must offer this advice. I would highly recommend trying to get to the Wasenegg ridge and Sprutz falls (can be same hike) Wasenegg is on a knife's edge ridge, very dramatic and you can walk behind the falls for some nice photos.

Another hike may require a car, but it's worth the effort. Get to the Isenfluh cable car (tiny charming cars, worth the trip alone) and take it up to Sulwald. Then hike to the Lobhornhutte for homemade soup and a beer. Stunning hike!

You have probably already seen this site, but it has a copy of the free maps available around town and some recommended hikes www.gimmelwald.com/hik es.html The routes are very well marked, so unless you are planning some very rigorous hikes out into the wilderness or just want a nice souvenir, I think the free map is adequate

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019