Paris to Basel by train: route, luggage, tickets

• Dishayagriv
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 August 2022 at 8:15:59 #827960

Hello everyone

I shall be coming to Switzerland on August 10th. Since my flight is to and from Paris, I shall be taking The TGV train between Paris and Basel in my trip. However i am seeing that several of the trains have a transfer at Strasbourg with a transfer time of 8-11 minutes. Is it feasible to transfer trains in such a short time? We shall also be carrying luggage with us. Has anyone travelled via this train with a transfer before?

Also do I need to book these train tickets in advance or can I book them at the counter itself, so that they i dont miss a connecting train.

Regards

Disha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2022 at 10:01:35 #945103

There are direct TGVs Paris – Basel. I highly recommend you ignore the itineraries via Strasbourg

http://www.tgv-lyria.com/fr/en/booking/destinations/paris-basel

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 August 2022 at 12:02:14 #945104

Hi Disha!

There are very comfortable 3-hour direct connections from Paris (Gare de Lyon) to Basel several times a day. I agree with 1960man that these are recommended. You’ll find them in the Swiss timetable. This page explains how to use it, and how to find details such as changes of trains for each connection: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

Bringing your luggage won’t be a problem, especially if you avoid a change in Strasbourg.

It’s best to book your train tickets in advance. Fares are usually lower if you get your tickets in time. The below pages provide more information about tickets from France to Switzerland:

Dishayagriv
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 August 2022 at 16:02:56 #945105

Thanks!

Yes i do know there are direct trains.. However as this is short notice, they are very expensive and also not available in the time slots i want.. Hence i was looking at the trains with transfer.. Is it really inconvenient to transfer at Strasbourg?

Dishayagriv
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 August 2022 at 16:06:46 #945106

The direct trains are by TGV, while the transfer ones are by INOUI SNCF.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2022 at 0:21:53 #945107

They are all TGV trains (INOUI is just a [very meaningless and much hated] branding name used by SNCF)

Strasbourg is a large station but the platforms are quite open and airy so changing trains there isn’t too bad.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    4 August 2022 at 6:17:25 #945108

In case of TGV, you need to book as advance as possible

Dishayagriv
    Participant
    12 posts
    4 August 2022 at 11:12:50 #945109

Ok .. Thank you so much once again! 🙂

• The thread ‘Paris to Basel by train: route, luggage, tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.