Paris to Basel/Interlaken by TGV Lyria

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 12:15:16 #815385

Hi,

I am planning to visit Swiss in June and I have made my bookings in Interlaken West and would be travelling from Paris. Can you please help me finding the best way for it.

Paris to Basel (TGV Lyria)— Basel – Interlaken( Rail Euro)— Will Swiss Travel Pass would be valid on both the trips?

Or

Paris(TGV Lyria)–> Interlaken West—> Is this the best and If Swiss Travel Pass is Valid on this or gives any discount?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2018 at 15:59:10 #882512

Hi Prasant –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Swiss Railroad ( SBB/CFF) rail passes work only in Switzerland.

The maps here show valid journeys:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

The timetable can help you plan routes and schedules:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the information page.

You may find this link to be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

When in June? It makes a difference in he High Alps near the Jungfrau.

Wild flowers in the meadows are at their best in June, also.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 April 2018 at 16:51:13 #882513

Hello Prasant,

Both options you mentioned are identical. It’s the same route, a change in Basel is always part of the trip. If your Swiss Travel Pass is valid that day you only need a ticket from Paris to Basel: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france. The timetable Slowpoke referred to gets you all the schedules.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 6:49:08 #882514

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to make sure, if I book TGV-Lyria from Paris to Basel and hold a swiss travel pass on that day, I can continue to travel in same train from Basel to Interlaken for free right.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 April 2018 at 9:34:44 #882515

Hi Prasant-

<<“Just to make sure, if I book TGV-Lyria from Paris to Basel and hold a swiss travel pass on that day, I can continue to travel in same train from Basel to Interlaken for free right.”>>

You pay for the Paris to Basel section by whatever means you like.

Once in Switzerland, if your STP is valid for that day, you do not have to buy another ticket or pay any additional fare. When the conductor checks tickets, you show your Swiss Pass. Occasionally, you will be asked to show your passport to confirm that your identity matchea the STP.

You need an STP for each person in your party. There are special rules/discounts/ tickets for young children and some teenagers. If you have that situation. let us know.

<<“I can continue to travel in same train”>>

I’m not so sure about that.

In many cases, when you cross the border at Basel, you can stay on the same train. Sometimes, it is necessary to change trains.

To find out more about that, use the timetable that I linked you to above. It will show whether you have to change trains at Basel.

If, after using the timetable you are still puzzled, let us know.

As you travel in Switzerland, as well as to and from Switzerland, the timetable will be extremely useful. Ut will help you plan any local trips in the Interlaken area, and particularly, the Jungfrau Refion.

As you can see from this panoramic map, there is a lot of mountain transport – rail and cableways, and also buses, covering the area with a substantial network:

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

There are many conventional maps of the region as well. Google Maps works, but I lik to use Mapsearch.CH.

If you zoom in to zoom level 32, the railines become very clear.

Also, under the menu item Points of Interest/Traffic, you can turn on layers with the icons for various transport services and the stations. Mouse over the icons, and you will see the exact name of the station, which you can use in the timetable.

The station list timetable is extremely detailed, so that, in addition to the name of a main station, such as Zürich, or Männlichen, there will appear a group of names such as Zürich, Tiefenbrunnen. These are secondary stations or stops within the general area. So, it is useful, but not critical, to know the exact name of the station or stop. If you enter Interlaken in the timetable, you will see a list to choose from includiong Interlaken Ost, Interlaken West, and various local stops such as Interlaken Harderbahn, or Interlaken Ost, See. “See” means “lake” and would be used for lake boat schedules, as well as other services at that station/stop.

We encourage all travelers to become familiar with teh timetab le, and this is your chance to do so before you get to Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 April 2018 at 15:15:48 #882516

Hi Prasant,

Most if not all trains from Paris are bound for Zurich. To reach Interlaken, you’ll get off in Basel and switch to another train.

• The thread ‘Paris to Basel/Interlaken by TGV Lyria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.