Paris to Milan via Bernina Express – where to stay

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 23:03:21 #825003

Hello. First time traveller to Europe in September\October and upon researching came across the scenic train ride ‘Bernina Express’. As this may be my only visit to Europe, I thought I may be able to include this in my itinerary. I will be travelling from Paris and would have two nights to stay in Switzerland before travelling onto Italy. I know this is only a very short time but believe it will be worth including. I was wondering where to stay for both nights as it appears the train from Chur leaves early in the morning. I think the first night could be spent in either St Moritz, Basel or Lucerne (unless there are better suggestions) and then second night in Chur unless I get an early morning train to Chur to catch Bernina express. Any feedback on the positives/negatives on where to stay would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 1:10:45 #928752

“staying the first night in St Moritz” then returning north to Chur would be a doubling back – don’t do that! Paris – St Moritz is too far for one day.

But please note that you do not have to travel on the Bernina Express to traverse the Bernina Railway.

Chur – St Moritz is the Unesco listed Albula Railway – a star in its own right, covered by regular hourly express trains. St Moritz – Tirano is the Bernina Railway.

Options for you include:

Paris – Zurich (stay); Zurich – Chur – St Moritz (stay); St Moritz – Tirano – Milano

Paris – Zurich – Chur (stay); Chur – St Moritz (stay); St Moritz – Tirano – Milano

Paris – Basel – Luzern (stay); Luzern – Chur (stay); Chur – Tirano – Milano

Paris – Basel – Luzern (stay); Luzern – Chur – St Moritz (stay); St Moritz – Tirano – Milano

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 3:13:09 #928753

Thank you your reply. So what you are saying is that I can travel on the Bernina railway but not needing the Bernina express. What is the difference between taking the Bernina Express or another train? I am thinking to go with the third option you suggested.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 January 2020 at 4:22:16 #928754

Hi Linda and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

What is the difference between taking the Bernina Express or another train?

You don’t need seat reservations on the regular trains and you don’t get a commentary. The scenery is the same.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress for more info.

For checking timetables see http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 8:27:21 #928755

Thanks rock oyster. Have I got this right, I will need to buy a ticket for the train from Chur to Tirano and then pay for a seat reservation on the Bernina express.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 January 2020 at 9:44:45 #928756

You don’t need seat reservations unless you travel on the actual Bernina Express. Regular trains don’t require reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 18:08:14 #928757

Hello Lindaphersso,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Take a look at these links regarding train traveling from Paris to Switzerland and than on to Milan.

I am inclined to suggest that you first go to Lucerne because it is central Switzerland. In addition, the train trip to Lucerne from Paris is reasonable in travel time. You could stay one night in Lucerne and for the second night, stay in Chur or St. Moritz.
    First night: Paris—>Lucerne
    Second night: Lucerne—>Chur—>Bernina Express OR Lucerne—> St.Moritz—>Bernina Express

I have included the train timetable so you can organize your itinerary:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Please take a look at these additional links on:

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 20:07:43 #928758

Thank you all for help. Suzanne, thank you for your detailed reply. I am really looking forward to undertaking this journey. I am looking if I can tweak my itinerary to add an extra day to Switzerland.

cheers

Linda.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 20:59:07 #928759

Hello Lindaphersso,

I’m glad to help! Please feel free to wrote back again with further questions regarding the revised itinerary. I hope you can stay an extra day in Switzerland.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2020 at 1:06:18 #928760

Rockoyster has already given you the answer. Personally I dislike the commentary, as there are plenty of ways to self guide on such a route (internet, traditional hard copy guide book, leaflet from station etc) . All the RhB train carriages have big windows so you don’t really need the Panorama coaches to see the scenery.

If you choose to break the journey in St Moritz (which I recommend as the ‘bowl’ in the mountains in which St Moritz/Samedan/Pontresina sit is surrounded by fabulous mountains) you can if you wish take an early morning train on the Bernina Railway and ‘get ahead of the crowds’ – and it would also make your onward connecting journey to Milano more relaxed.

• The thread ‘Paris to Milan via Bernina Express – where to stay’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.