Park the car 1 day to take a Swiss scenic train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 13:36:55 #815678

Hello friends

I will be in Switzerland in July for honeymoon and i want to take a day or 1/2 day train trip to cover what i miss while i am driving a car all the hole journey.

i will spend 3 nights in Lucerne , 2 nights in Grindelwald , 2 nights in Montreux , 2 nights in Gstaad , 2 nights in Lugano .

So , if you can advice for the best route train that will be different in what i see in car window i will appreciate it.

Thanks ..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 15:28:46 #883940

Hi Fharthi,

Are you set on renting a car for the trip? I would first suggest traveling by train everywhere in Switzerland.
    Read about traveling by car vs. train here first.

This would allow you to take several scenic train rides on your trip. One good option is the Gotthard Panorama Express (Lucerne to Lugano) and the Golden Pass (Lucerne to Montreux) but you are backtraking to do those trips if you are going to be going there by car anyway.

The Glacier Express and Bernina Express train trips are quite out of the way from the towns you are in (making very long days if you do either one).

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2018 at 14:16:54 #883941

Hi Fharthi,

Did you make any progress with your planning? You selected places that can be reached by train perfectly. By car some are quite difficult (busy traffic, parking), assuming you want to stay in the town center. Also going by train all the way would allow you to include more scenic trains and see more, as there is no driver who should mostly watch the road and traffic only.

• The thread ‘Park the car 1 day to take a Swiss scenic train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.