Part of Glacier Express – reservation required ?

• alfredng
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 June 2018 at 4:42:12 #816592

I plan to take the train from Montreux to Zermatt, via Visp. I think it is part of the Glacier Express route? Is reservation required and if so how to make it? The links provided here on MySwissAlps platform point to ticket sellers who offer only whole route tickets and reservation. I am a little confused. Please can the knowledgeable and helpful experts advise?

Thank you so much in advance!

Alfred

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 June 2018 at 5:39:50 #888083

Hello Alfred,

If you travel on the actual Glacier Express then you must reserve seats, for any leg of the route on which you travel, which you can do here. From Montreux you would need to continue from Visp to Brig as the GEX does not collect passengers at Visp

For such a short part of the trip the reservation fee is hardly justified. I think you would be better on the regular trains which cover the route Visp to Zermatt. See SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable).

alfredng
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 June 2018 at 6:19:28 #888084

Hi Rockoyster

Thank you very much. I have looked again based on your advice.

If I want to take the GEX, after first travelling by regular train from Montreux to Brig, the short part of GEX route seems to be Brig – Zermatt , for a reservation fee of CHF33. Expensive indeed!

I would go by regular trains instead. Save GEX for next time.

Thanks again!

Alfred

• The thread ‘Part of Glacier Express – reservation required ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.