Part of Glacier Express - reservation required ?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
alfredng
alfredng
6 posts
Jun 12, 2018 - 4:42 AM

I plan to take the train from Montreux to Zermatt, via Visp. I think it is part of the Glacier Express route? Is reservation required and if so how to make it? The links provided here on MySwissAlps platform point to ticket sellers who offer only whole route tickets and reservation. I am a little confused. Please can the knowledgeable and helpful experts advise?

Thank you so much in advance!

Alfred

rockoyster
rockoyster
4071 posts
expert
Jun 12, 2018 - 5:39 AM in reply to alfredng

Hello Alfred,

If you travel on the actual Glacier Express then you must reserve seats, for any leg of the route on which you travel, which you can do here. From Montreux you would need to continue from Visp to Brig as the GEX does not collect passengers at Visp

For such a short part of the trip the reservation fee is hardly justified. I think you would be better on the regular trains which cover the route Visp to Zermatt. See SBB Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable).

alfredng
alfredng
6 posts
Jun 12, 2018 - 6:19 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster

Thank you very much. I have looked again based on your advice.

If I want to take the GEX, after first travelling by regular train from Montreux to Brig, the short part of GEX route seems to be Brig - Zermatt , for a reservation fee of CHF33. Expensive indeed!

I would go by regular trains instead. Save GEX for next time.

Thanks again!

Alfred

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018