Partial Golden Pass Montreux to Montbovon?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 22:04:39 #816081

We will be traveling from Montruex to Fribourg towards the end of June. I would like to know if traveling as far as Montbovon on the GP would give us some of the famous views, or would we have to travel further–to Chateau d’Oex or Gstaad to experience them? I think we would have to backtrack to Montbovon if we did either of the later. I have already purchased 8 day Swiss Travel Passes, 2nd class. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 23:40:53 #885727

Hi GMB,

I think the most popular section of the route is heading from Montbovon down to Montreux (which you may not get to see as well leaving from Montreux). In general the more of the route you can enjoy the better! The section, between Montreux and Zweisimmen, is very nice if you can do it.

Golden Pass route sections: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/getti ngthere

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 1:01:45 #885728

My original plan was to take the more direct route route that goes through Lausanne, then Bulle to Fribourg . Would that route be scenic along the lake? My ultimate goal is to get to Fribourg and have time there, so I’d rather not take too long a detour going beyond Montbovon. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 14:32:51 #885729

I can’t say for sure as I haven’t done that route – perhaps another member knows it though. Have a read through this thread for a few details on the route through Lausanne from another member.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 21:35:29 #885730

Thanks, all your responses help. I tried to find information on the Montreux to Montbovon segment before I posted,so now I have a clearer idea of what to expect–but still have to decide how much time to dedicate to the Golden Pass, or not. I appreciate your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 0:39:37 #885731

>> I would like to know if traveling as far as Montbovon on the GP would give us some of the famous views, or would we have to travel further–to Chateau d’Oex or Gstaad to experience them?

That is one of the best sections of the Golden Pass route in my opinion. I prefer the descent into Montreux from high on the mountain rather than the climb out from Montreux, but that is just because the first time I did that trip, the descent into Montreux took me completely by surprise and took my breath away.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2018 at 18:49:47 #885732

Montreux to Lausanne is mostly along Lake Geneva and that part is scenic (sit on the left). The scenic part is less than 20 minutes on the quickest trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 20:15:15 #885733

Thank you for your replies. The route from Montreux to Bulle to Fribourg would take about 2 hours, so that seems reasonable and we could experience some of the Golden Pass route. I have already purchased a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass. I have 3 questions:

1. The first leg shows up as a MOB train. Would all the cars require seat reservations or are there some 2nd class cars? (I’m looking at the 9:44 from Montreux.)
    2. i would probably go for the panoramic seats anyway and see where to make reservations on goldenpass. ch. Do I have to upgrade the travel pass to 1st class for that leg of the trip, and how do I do that?
    3. It seems the seats reservations cost 8CHF whether we go as far as Montbovon or all the way to Zweisimmen. Once purchased, does anyone care how far you go—as in could we change our mind and go farther, or would those seats have been rebooked for the remainder of the M-Z leg?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 2:53:30 #885734

>> 1.The first leg shows up as a MOB train. Would all the cars require seat reservations or are there some 2nd class cars? (I’m looking at the 9:44 from Montreux.)

There are no compulsory reservations on any of the Golden Pass trains, in either first- or second-class, except if you want to travel in one of the 8 VIP first-class seats in the front carriage. These VIP seats are available on 2 departures daily in each direction – including the 9:44 from Montreux.

>> 2.i would probably go for the panoramic seats anyway and see where to make reservations on goldenpass. ch. Do I have to upgrade the travel pass to 1st class for that leg of the trip, and how do I do that?

Both first- and second-class carriages have panoramic windows. Do you actually mean the VIP seats?

To travel in the VIP seats, or normal first-class seats, you will indeed need to upgrade to first class for the sector Montreux-Zweisimmen (or to Montbovon if you are only going that far in the VIP seats).

You can buy a class upgrade at any staffed railway station in Switzerland up until any time before boarding the train. It will cost you half of the difference between the first-class and second-class fares for that sector. Here are the phrases for change of class for a sector in three of the national languages of Switzerland:

• German: Klassenwechsel für eine Strecke
    • French: Surclassement pour un trajet
    • Italian: Cambio di classe per una tratta

>> 3.It seems the seats reservations cost 8CHF whether we go as far as Montbovon or all the way to Zweisimmen. Once purchased, does anyone care how far you go—as in could we change our mind and go farther, or would those seats have been rebooked for the remainder of the M-Z leg?

Reservations are CHF 8 for the normal first- and second-class seats between Montreux and Zweisimmen, but CHF 15 for the VIP seats.

If you only reserve a seat from Montreux to Montbovon, it is unlikely someone else would have reserved the same seat from Montbovon to Zweisimmen, but you couldn’t rule it out. If someone turned up with a reservation for that seat at Montbovon, you would have to vacate it.

It would be easier to reserve the whole sector Montreux to Zweisimmen, in which case your class upgrade would also have to cover the whole sector Montreux-Zweisimmen if you are booking the VIP or other first-class seats.

If you do decide to get off at Montbovon instead, that is OK. Reserved seats are released after 20 minutes, so if you are not still sitting in it, someone else can use that seat for the remainder of the sector if they want to.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 11:57:31 #885735

Thank you for your detailed reply!

It seems the VIP seats are booked anyway, so I can make a reservation and use our 2nd class Swiss Travel Passes without worrying which car we’re in? The website shows 2 cars available.

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:2:28153212507604 36::NO:::

Regarding seat selection, in car #1 there are 3 single seats along the left. Are they one-behind-the-other, or side by side, looking across the car? For example #41 &42. And on the other side with seats beside each other, would # 23 & 25 be facing forward?

You have been so helpful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 13:44:50 #885736

>> It seems the VIP seats are booked anyway, so I can make a reservation and use our 2nd class Swiss Travel Passes without worrying which car we’re in? The website shows 2 cars available.

Yes, you do have to worry about which car you book! I gather you want to book 2nd-class seats, so you will need to pick the 2nd-class carriage. Your link had the 1st-class carriage selected.

>> in car #1 there are 3 single seats along the left. Are they one-behind-the-other, or side by side, looking across the car? For example #41 &42.

That’s not car #1, it’s a first-class carriage.

Seats 41 and 42 are facing each other, with seat 41 facing in the direction of travel, and seat 42 facing backwards

>> would # 23 & 25 be facing forward?

Yes.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 15:01:20 #885737

Alpenrose, thank you. I see the distinction now between 1st & 2nd class cars. Before, I saw that both the boxes were grey, so I thought it meant they were interchangeable.

One more question (I think)–for that leg of the trip, Montruex to Montbovon, is there an advantage to sitting facing backward over forward? Or vice versa? Or book seats facing each other so we could switch around?

Much appreciation for your time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 0:40:09 #885738

>> for that leg of the trip, Montruex to Montbovon, is there an advantage to sitting facing backward over forward? Or vice versa? Or book seats facing each other so we could switch around?

That’s a personal choice. Some people don’t like travelling with their back to the direction of travel. Personally I would face backwards for the climb out of Montreux. If reserving two seats, I would book two window seats facing each other, but again, that is just a matter of personal preference.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 1:38:33 #885739

Thanks, Alpenrose, that was my inclination, also. I truly appreciate your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 6:11:21 #885740

>> I truly appreciate your help!

You’re welcome! Have a wonderful trip.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Partial Golden Pass Montreux to Montbovon?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.