About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Bernese Oberland Pass or Swiss Travel Pass
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Bernese Oberland Pass or Swiss Travel Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
gogators
gogators
3 posts
Nov 18, 2022 - 3:36 PM

I love this forum! June 2023: Husband and I will spend one week in Germany and France, then train to Zermatt from Strasbourg. We will have a 5 day Eurail pass for our main travel days, but will spend three nights in Zermatt, eight nights in Grindelwald, two nights in Lucerne and one in Zurich for flight home. We want to take the Gornergrat and maybe Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in Zermatt, the Junfraubahn, Mannlichen, First, etc in Grindelwald and Pilatus in Lucern. We'll be visiting Murren and Wengen and Lauterbrunnen - last time we were there it was off season and not much was open.

I've used the spreadsheet but still can't decide on the B-O pass or STP. It seems one covers some and the other covers other. Any suggestions? thank you in advance.

Anna
Anna
3904 posts
expert &
Nov 18, 2022 - 6:02 PM in reply to gogators

Hi gogators,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Based on your plans, perhaps combining your Eurail Pass with a Swiss Half Fare Card might provide the best option. You can find more information about the Swiss Half Fare Card here: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard. With the Swiss Half Fare Card you can also purchase the Jungfrau Travel Pass or the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland at a reduced price during your stay in Grindelwald.

Regards,

Anna

gogators
gogators
3 posts
Nov 18, 2022 - 6:22 PM in reply to Anna

Thank you Anna. I will have to add that column of calculations to my spreadsheet !

Anna
Anna
3904 posts
expert &
Nov 19, 2022 - 8:34 AM in reply to gogators

Hi gogators,

It might be useful to plan your itinerary in detail so you can get a better idea of which railpass will work best for you. A Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card is definitely useful as they are valid nationwide. But if you're planning of a lot of regional sightseeing and prefer a ticketless travel, getting the Jungfrau Travel Pass might be sensible for the Jungfrau region. For a wider coverage, the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland might be the best option.

You can download the spreadsheet to do the calculation here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

gogators
gogators
3 posts
Nov 19, 2022 - 5:47 PM in reply to Anna

so many passes, so many decisions. Appreciate your input. I'll definitely have our itinerary figured before our trip with allowance of flexibility for bad/cloudy days. Railway times and pass prices will firm up mid-December. Thanks again for your time.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022