Rail pass validation: myth or reality?

• LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    25 May 2017 at 21:21:55 #811977

Bonjour,

Our trip to Switzerland is fast approaching. I have received our Swiss Tavel Pass Flex and our Berner Oberland Regional Pass that will allow us to benefit from the Swiss rail system during our 25 days stay. I have been following this amazing forum for months and I’m finding conflictual information (between the forum and other sources) on the necessity/obligation to validate the passes. My understanding is that it is not necessary anymore for the STP Flex but I haven’t found anything on the BO Regional Pass. Can you help me clarify this for both passes? And if it is required, how should I proceed?

Merci!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 8:27:06 #863933

Hi LeVoyageur,

Validation of rail passes were common in years past but not anymore (hence the conflicting information probably).

Nearly all print at home passes (if that’s what you have) don’t need to be validated (95% of the time). We specify how to do this (and how to know if validation is needed on our Swiss Travel Pass Flex 'how to use' page.

For the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland there should be no need to validate it either.

Typically if your passes don’t have start dates already printed on them it is a sign that validation is required by rail staff at an SBB office.

Lucas

LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    26 May 2017 at 14:42:00 #863934

Merci Lucas!

Both were actualy mailed to my adress. I have checked them and they both have printed validity dates. So, I guess that we are all set and ready to go!

Jean

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 16:16:20 #863935

Bienvenue! (my Canadian French is rusty).

Let us know how your trip goes!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail pass validation: myth or reality?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.