Rail passes to save money outside Switzerland

• Paolo
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 October 2017 at 12:31:02 #813474

Hello,

I need to know if a pass will save me money on journeys that start or end outside switzerland.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 16:06:03 #870793

Hi Paolo and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It depends on the rail pass.

Rail passes for Switzerland, like the Swiss Travel Pass will cover the portion of the journey that is within Switzerland so that would be a discount for you.

You can also look at Eurail passes that can cover multiple countries. These rail passes are usually only a good deal if you travel by train in Switzerland and the other country (or two) extensively.

If you are taking just one train from one country to Switzerland and then all the rest of your train trips will be in Switzerland, then I would by a Swiss rail pass and then just a point to point ticket to get to the Swiss border.

Paolo
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 October 2017 at 21:46:12 #870794

Thanks Lucas. I’ve had a look at those now.

The best pass acrually turns out to be an Interrail Global Pass which actually includes everything we want to do.

Start in Florence Italy, then to Zurich,Paris and London and Cambridge.Then return to Paris then to Chur, do the Bernina pass and then from Tirano back to Milan and Florence where we live.

We will also have stop overs in Zurich , 2 nights, and Chur, one night which will actually cost the same as the whole of the train travel!The cheapest ok looking hotel and flat I could find

I haven’t bought anything yet so I’m hoping for the best.I see now that some of the reservations I have to get are expensive too. Is there any way to get money off those ?

This website is very good I found all my information here.Thank you so much for now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 7:58:18 #870795

HI Paolo,

There are no reservation discounts that I am aware of. There is a discount on Interrail passes though – click here for more details, choose your country of residence and hit search.

Unfortunately Switzerland is not an inexpensive country! We have some recommended hotels for Zurich listed here if it helps you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail passes to save money outside Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.