Passing through Switzerland 1 day vignette?

• Happy_Pants
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 January 2020 at 18:12:56 #824940

Hi

Just joined MySwissAlps as it’s got some really useful info – thanks !

Just a quick question though…… we are planning to drive down from the Black Forest in September to Interlaken for 1 night then following day drive to Kandersteg to catch the car train to Goppenstein. I am assuming I still need a vignette even if just passing through Switzerland, also is it cheaper to buy the train ticket online or when we get to Kandersteg

Thankyou

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2020 at 18:43:05 #928343

Hello Happy Pants,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I am glad you are finding our website with useful information.

You will need to purchase a vignette when you’re passing through Switzerland. Failure without a vignette, is a 200 chf fine. Here is a link about the vignette and you can order one on that page as well:

You can find additional information for the car trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/cartrains and here: http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/unterwegs-mit/autoverlad

You can get a better price when you purchase the ticket online instead of at Kandersteg.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Happy_Pants
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 January 2020 at 19:06:58 #928344

Hi Suzanne

Thanks for your fast reply

Cheers

HP

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2020 at 19:10:11 #928345

Hello again Happy Pants,

You’re most welcome! I wish you a wonderful time in Switzerland.

Best regards,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2020 at 1:31:40 #928346

Hi HP-

Do you have any specific plans after Goppenstein? Perhaps we might have some insights.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2020 at 2:04:07 #928347

Strictly speaking you do not need a vignette if you do not drive on motorways or semi-motorways, but it needs careful planning.

Also, it obviously takes longer, eg for Basel – Interlaken there is a decent enough non-motorway route but it takes about 3 hours (it’s about 1h45 by motorway)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2020 at 2:11:11 #928348

<<“Also, it obviously takes longer, eg for Basel – Interlaken there is a

decent enough non-motorway route but it takes about 3 hours (it’s about

1h45 by motorway)”>>

Why would you bother on a short pass through trip, where time may mean as much as cost?

Slowpoke

Happy_Pants
    Participant
    19 posts
    20 January 2020 at 7:21:50 #928349

Hi All

Thanks again for your replies…. Unfortunately we have little time in Switzerland on this trip but briefly need to meet up with friends in Interlaken. After Goppenstein we have a night booked at the Auberge de l’Hospice at the top of Grand St Bernards Pass.

Regards. HP

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2020 at 9:49:45 #928350

Hi HP –

Sounds like a great trip. Not much that I can add.

Also, I did not find much with a search here in My Swiss Alps.

Slowpoke

Happy_Pants
    Participant
    19 posts
    20 January 2020 at 19:10:52 #928351

Thanks Slowpoke

One last question though …. if you were travelling from Interlaken to col de la Grand St Bernards Pass would you go via Kanderstag and the car rail to Goppenstein or another route ?

thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2020 at 19:37:51 #928352

It is about half an hour shorter to drive on the autroutes from IO to Bern to Fribourg to Montreux, then south, than it is via the Kandertal and the car train.

I like the scenery on both sides of the short tunnel through the Alps, (Kandertal and Rhonetal) so, unless I were really in a hurry, I’d stick with the one you proposed. Really a matter of personal preference for the type of driving…mountain roads vs. autoroutes.

Slowpoke

Happy_Pants
    Participant
    19 posts
    20 January 2020 at 20:02:24 #928353

Thanks again 👍

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2020 at 3:11:22 #928354

The car train is an interesting experience, so I would do it

Just to clarity the rendition of St Bernard

French language (the local language in the area): Col du Grand St Bernard

On road signs you will see it shown as ‘Grand St Bernard’

normal English rendition: St Bernard Pass (not usually ‘Great St Bernard Pass’ )

Happy_Pants
    Participant
    19 posts
    22 January 2020 at 6:41:05 #928355

Thanks for the clarification 👍

• The thread ‘Passing through Switzerland 1 day vignette?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.