Passport needed while travelling on Swiss trains?

• beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    29 July 2017 at 20:22:41 #812783

We have booked a flex train pass for 4 days . I need to know do we have to show passport while in train or just train pass is enough. Dont want to take passport along.

Also want to ask do we need to show those passes before getting on trains or need to scan them ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    29 July 2017 at 21:17:06 #867588

Hi Beenaeem,

You will need to travel with your passport. The train staff will mostly check your Swiss Travel Pass Flex only, but may also randomly check passports from time to time. You don’t have to show anything while boarding the train, only on request.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2017 at 17:07:13 #867589

Hi, just returned from Weggis and Wengen. We were asked to show our Swiss Travel Passes twice during 10 days, once just after leaving Zurich and once on the Golden Pass Line. Both times they only wanted to see a passport from one of our family. We carried passports a lot of the time but for when we really didn’t want to, we took photos of the passports on our mobiles in the hope that these would suffice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2017 at 17:14:00 #867590

Hi Springers,

Be careful with photos, it could be ok with some conductors, but you do run the risk of a possible fine if they want to see the original passport. Glad everything went smoothly on your trip!

Lucas

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    30 July 2017 at 20:47:41 #867591

The rules say you need to show your passport to the conductor when you show your Swiss Pass. However, I have never been asked in 20 years. Maybe it’s because I have a camera around my neck and a monopod next to my backpack? I always carry mine anyway.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2017 at 22:32:52 #867592

Hi Jlovda

I’ve been asked many times to show my passport along with my travel pas while traveling on Swiss trains since 1980.

I should probably address this to beenaeem- but, why would you not carry a passport?

That is puzzling to me.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    31 July 2017 at 23:04:41 #867593

Hello,

When one is travelling with a train pass that has been created to be used exclusively by foreigners, it is only natural that one be prepared to prove, if requested, that one is indeed a foreigner. The passport is an important and valuable document, and I can think of no safer place to keep it than on one’s own person, naturally in a secure spot. Whether one will actually be asked to show a passport is anybody’s guess, as it is up to the discretion of the controller. In fact, if one is on a train for a short distance, you may not even see a controller. Some regional trains move with no controller, but people know they must have their pass or a valid ticket just in case one is or comes aboard. No ticket or pass equals a fine.

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    1 August 2017 at 10:02:52 #867594

Hi

thanks all. I didnt want to carry my passport as im afraid it can be lost or misplaced. Its safer at hotel but looks like we have to carry it. Do we need to carry childrens passport too or just ours (2 adults)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 August 2017 at 12:08:04 #867595

<<“I didnt want to carry my passport as im afraid it can be lost or misplaced. Its safer at hotel but looks like we have to carry it.”>>

I carry mine in an inside pocket where a casual thief cannot easily reach it. Carrying it in a purse or your luggage is not a good idea.

That said, even with the major increase in ill-mannered refugees and migrants over the past few years, Switzerland remains a very safe place.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2017 at 13:22:55 #867596

Yes, I wouldn’t worry about it getting stolen – I carry mind on all trips around Europe in an inside zippered pocket somewhere. No ill-mannered refugees and migrants over here :).

Misplacing things on the other hand is something I can’t help you with! 😉

Lucas

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    1 August 2017 at 13:37:07 #867597

This is what i am afraid of. 😊losing myself !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 0:51:35 #867598

>> This is what i am afraid of. losing myself !

If you don’t have any secure pockets i.e. front pockets that can be fastened closed, you could consider a passport pouch worn under your clothing like this one:

http://www.briscoes.co.nz/pro ductimages/medium/1/79 58_13942_84876.jpg

Certainly never carry your passport in a backpack or anything that is not attached to you at all times! That is the surest way of leaving it somewhere.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 6:19:08 #867599

Ha! aren’t we all! 😉

• The thread ‘Passport needed while travelling on Swiss trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.