Gstaad to Geneva travel options

• TANMAYPATEL
    Participant
    10 posts
    21 April 2018 at 9:35:47 #815452

We are family of three.We want to travel from Gstaad to Geneva and return on the same day on the 15 May 2018. What is the best way to travel?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 10:17:25 #882852

Hi Tanmaypatel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Are you asking about train or bus vs. car? Or just what train options are available?

If taking public transport you have two choices. The quickest and most popular would be taking the Golden Pass route from Gstaad to Montreux and then transfering to another train on to Geneva.

Currently there is a bus transfer needed between the towns of Château-d’Oex & Montbovon (before you reach Montreux) due to construction on the train route. It only last 12 minutes on the bus but its good to know.

Another option would be a bus from Gstaad to Les Diablerets, change to a train to Aigle and then another train to Geneva.

The Swiss railways timetable will show you all your options that day. Either way it is about 3 hours each way from Gstaad (give or take 15 minutes).

TANMAYPATEL
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 April 2018 at 3:44:34 #882853

thank you Lukas .I am going to switzerland on the 9th may from India reaching Zurich then going to gstaad and then staying in Saanen for 9 nights and returning back to India on the 19th may.Last year we stayed in grindelwald for 8 days.I want to know if there is any bus or train service from saanen to gstaad and vice versa and which will fall cheaper.And can you give the address from where you can rent a car for 8 days and where you can rent bicycles and is there any place for trekking in gstaad or sannen.

thanks once again and regards,Tanmay

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 April 2018 at 6:41:44 #882854

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) for all public transport enquiries. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at bit.ly/2IwxrEV.

There is a bus and a train between Gstaad and Saanen. The bus is marginally more expensive perhaps because it takes 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes by train. 🤓

Before you go renting a car read http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Also read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 13:36:18 #882855

Hi Tanmay,

yes, there are a couple car rentals in Gstaad – I don’t have details but check the sites listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/carrental, or Google will let you know where they are exactly.

We have a couple hiking suggestions for the region here & also check Tourism Gstaad as well.

TANMAYPATEL
    Participant
    10 posts
    24 April 2018 at 3:44:09 #882856

hi! I have booked tickets on the 15th may to go to Geneva from gstaad and return on the same day on the SBB site via montreux and Lausanne.I want to know do we need to reserve the seats and what activities can be done in Geneva.I want to know if we whether to book a rented car in gstaad or should we book online in advance.Is there a nature park in gstaad or sannen or nearby as our base in is sannen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 9:04:12 #882857

Hi Tanmay,

You don’t have to reserve seats. Look at our Geneva webpage for things to do: http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva. Normally it’s cheaper to rent a car online. Find here the best car rental rate.

The area around Gstaad is beautiful. It’s one nature park. There’s a nice easy walk from Schönried to Gstaad. You might fancy a day trip to Glacier 3000 as well.

TANMAYPATEL
    Participant
    10 posts
    25 April 2018 at 9:24:57 #882858

As my base is in sannen if we commute from sannen to gstaad how much does it cost by bus and train per person.The address where we are staying is mentioned below

Lauenenstrasse 159 3780 Gstaad.We want to know whether bus or train is convenient to reach this place.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 9:40:10 #882859

The timetable gives you the most direct route options between towns (and mountains etc). Just enter your to/from destinations (addresses work fine). It shows me 25 minutes or so by train about 6chf regular price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 6:27:22 #882860

>> As my base is in sannen if we commute from sannen to gstaad how much does it cost by bus and train per person.The address where we are staying is … Lauenenstrasse 159 3780 Gstaad. We want to know whether bus or train is convenient to reach this place.

To reach this address, which is on the outskirts of Gstaad in the direction of Lauenen, you would get the train to Gstaad, then bus 181 to the stop called Badweidli (5 minutes). The bus fare is CHF 3. After that you have a short walk further down the road to your accommodation (see attached aerial shot).

The last bus of the day leaves Gstaad railway station at 19:37. If you want to come back later than that, it would take about 30 minutes to walk to your accommodation from Gstaad railway station according to Google Maps. I have attached a bus timetable for bus 181 for the period of your stay.

When you say you are staying in Saanen, it is a little confusing. You are in the municipality of Saanen, but actually staying on the outskirts of Gstaad. Saanen railway station is on the other side of Gstaad to where you are staying. I have marked all the relevant places on the attached aerial shot.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Gstaad to Geneva travel options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.