Only cash accepted if buying Swiss train tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2019 at 20:17:20 #821697

If I order train tickets in advance online, or if I use a ticket machine, it looks like I can pay for the tickets with my credit card. But it appears that if I want to purchase my train tickets from a person in a ticket booth in the train station, I have to pay with Swiss francs. Is that correct?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 May 2019 at 22:59:48 #912616

Hello Lyle and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I once paid for a ticket with a credit card at a staffed station. Lugano to be precise. The ticket sales person was quite happy to accept my payment in that form. The rest of the time I relied on the rather wonderful SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi).

Arno
    15478 posts
    18 May 2019 at 6:26:18 #912617

Hi Lyle,

All major credit cards and debits cards are accepted, as well as cash (Swiss francs, and even Euro’s although that’s not recommended).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 16:12:28 #912618

Thanks for your help!

• The thread ‘Only cash accepted if buying Swiss train tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.