Paying the Grindelwald apartment rental by cash

• chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    8 February 2018 at 16:49:49 #814295

Hi there!

I’m looking at apartment rentals on e-domizil.ch as well as grindelwald.ch for our upcoming trip. I wrote to the owner of the rental I’m interested in, and they mentioned accepting the entire payment in cash upon arrival.

Just wanted to check with the group if this is normal. Typically I’ve seen places ask for a partial payment upon reservation and the rest in cash, but never entire cash. I’ve also seen a lot of posts where people had to change their apartments last min because the one they had reserved wasn’t available.

What are your thoughts? Would you pay a little extra and book via a website?

Thanks!

Chandni

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 February 2018 at 11:37:05 #875924

Hi Chandni,

I’ve paid in cash before without issues. In the most recent years it was common for the properties we rented to pay upfront, usually one part after booking and the rest shorty before arrival. Most important is that you are dealing with a trusted person or company, and that you have a signed rental agreement that clearly lists how much must be paid, how and when. E-domizil is a trusted company that we link to from our website.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    9 February 2018 at 14:48:28 #875925

We rented a place in Zermatt recently and paid by credit card in advance.

The group that we arranged everything through has excellent reviews online and handles very nice properties. Airbnb also arranges everything by credit card. Upon arrival, someone met us at the train station in Zermatt and we took a taxi with them to our place where we reviewed everything at the place and signed an agreement regarding damage, etc. I don’t know if I would pay in cash. Do you get a receipt and a signed agreement regarding the rental?

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    9 February 2018 at 21:03:20 #875926

Okay, good to get your opinions. The person I contacted did have a listing on e-domizil, but I had a few questions so I got their email from the official swiss tourism website listing, and that’s how they talked about the cash. If I decide to go ahead, I might pay with e-domizil just to have a documented proof of transaction.

Thanks for your help!

Chandni

• The thread ‘Paying the Grindelwald apartment rental by cash’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.