Jul 5, 2018 - 7:25 PM
Hello everyone! We (5 adults and 4 seniors above 65+) are planning to spend few days in our first ever trip to Europe. We’ll be travelling to 4 countries (London, Paris, Switzerland – Mt Titlis, Jungfraujoch and Italy – Venice, Florence and Rome) for about 3 weeks starting beginning of October.
Here are few things that are of priority for us…
- This is our first ever trip in Switzerland as well as in Europe; we all love nature and enjoying the view of Swiss Alps is most important to us; please advise any change as applicable.
- We would have 4 parents with us and they have challenges in long walk/hike.
- Budget is not the biggest concern but we would like to keep the expenses minimized.
- We would like to explore by train and avoid driving.
Here is our draft itinerary at this point…
- Mon, Oct 08 – Arrive in Lucerne from Paris (Paris to Basel by TGV Lyria, Basel to Lucerne by SBB); stay in Lucerne for 2 nights.
- Tue, Oct 09 – Sightseeing Mt Titlis; take SBB train from Luzern to Engelberg and then take SBB gondola from Engelberg to Mt Titlis in the morning; we are planning to start at around 9 AM and be there at the top by 10:30 AM. Then spend the rest of the day up there and return back to Luzern in the evening at around 5 PM.
- Wed, Oct 10 – Travel from Lucerne to Grindelwald and stay in Grindelwald for 3 nights. We are thinking of taking the Golden Pass express from Luzern to Interlaken and then take an SBB train from Interlaken to Grindelwald.
- Thu, Oct 11 – Sightseeing in Grindelwald; yet to understand things to do and places to visit.
- Fri, Oct 12 – Sightseeing Jungfraujoch; yet to understand things to do and places to visit.
- Sat, Oct 13 – Travel from Grindelwald to Interlaken by SBB train and then from Interlaken to Montreux by Golden Pass express and stay overnight in Montreux
- Sun, Oct 14 – Travel from Montreux to Venice and start the Italian part of the trip.
Having no experience in rail system in Switzerland, we are not sure what type of tickets and/or passes we should buy. Looks like buying single-day-pass for Oct 9 (Mt Titlis sightseeing) and Oct 12 (Jungfraujoch) makes sense whereas point-to-point tickets are most cost effective way of doing this. Could someone please comment on this?
Also, are we missing anything? Or is there any change advised to this itinerary? Please advise – we would like to get the advantage of your experience!
Thank you the entire forum in advance for your valuable inputs!